Restoring Drivers

Discussion in 'macOS' started by In Utopia, Mar 23, 2010.

1. In Utopia macrumors regular

While replacing a bad modem a tech must have deleted the driver or drivers that allow a printer and scanner work from USB ports.
    What is the the proper and easiest way to restore them on 10.4.11?
    What will I loose? Most everything is backed up on Mosey, but what about everything else?

Is it time to update my system, and would this eliminate some potential problems that I might encounter by just restoring what I have now?

I may have worded this wrong.
    The actual problem is the computer doesn't even recognize either the printer or the scanner running off the USB ports.
    I can plug a camera into them, and it will down load to iphoto, but implies the both the printer and scanner are not even hooked up even though they are. Tried a new cable to the printer and that didn't work.
    I've un-installed and re-installed the printer software several times and that didn't work.

So, I guess I'm looking for what ever the has control over the USB ports so it will recognize the printer and scanner.

Thanks for the heads up on not supporting the scanner, it may not be supported.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Are you unable to go to the manufacturer's website to download drivers? Or re-run the install DVD for the respective device(s)? In a pinch you can reinstall just the printer drivers from the OS install DVDs using the Optional Installs package. Updating the OS is one avenue open to you, however, you would want to do some research to see if the scanner/printer are still supported in the upgraded OS.