Restoring files after a clean install - which directories?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ndpitch, Jul 20, 2011.

1. ndpitch macrumors 6502

So I just ran a full time machine backup.

After I clean install Lion - which directories should I bring back over? All I really need are my documents, pictures, music, and videos. So those are pretty straight forward. I can re-install all my apps like iPhoto and all that stuff.

But what about the other folders in my home directory, like the Library? Do I need any of that stuff, or will they just re-build as I install all my applications back?

2. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

They should rebuild. Just means any settings in your apps will be gone. But I think that's what you're after?

3. ndpitch thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah that should be fine. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be restoring useless information, or losing anything important.

4. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

It depends on what sort of data various apps may keep in the Applications Support in the Library folder, or in other folders in the Library folder. Like... Address Book... and Mail... Keychains... mobile backups...

Not every app just has the equivalent of "preferences" in there. There can be app data you might want. You should look it over carefully. Or at least make sure you have a copy of the old Library in case something you expected to have turns up missing after you think you're ready to roll in Lion.