Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LittleApple08

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Iowa
I am thinking of restarting from scratch soon. Well, not entirely soon and I was wondering how to save the files that I want to keep.

MM07

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
If you have an external drive then Time Machine would be the easiest.

pandaurae

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2008
I second a Time Machine backup/restore. I recently upgraded to a new iMac (from a G5 iMac, heh) and purchased, at the same time, a Time Capsule. I backed up my G5 data using Time Machine to the Time Capsule. Then, I booted up my new iMac and, during the setup screens, was allowed to select the TM backup file as restore ...

Now it took a couple of hours for the restore (about 150GB worth of data), but it involved nothing more from me than a few clicks of the mouse. When finished, I logged into my new iMac and all my data was as I had left it on my old one: iTunes and iPhoto libraries, documents, settings (right down to my desktop picture), even user accounts ... painless!

(Note: you can use the Migration Assistant anytime to perform the same functions outside of the setup process.)

LittleApple08

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Iowa
Oh, wait can I still use Time Machine with a Mac OS X Version 10.4.11 or is that only for the 10.5? If so where can I download it? My mac didn't come with that application.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
Oh, wait can I still use Time Machine with a Mac OS X Version 10.4.11 or is that only for the 10.5? If so where can I download it? My mac didn't come with that application.

It is a 10.5 feature, so no go on 10.4.11. I would suggest using Carbon Copy Cloner instead (free download at http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html )- just get a small hard drive at least as big as your internal drive, format it in Disk Utility one time and use CCC to just clone the whole thing.

That way, NO files can be lost (with a side benefit that your backup will be bootable in case of emergencies which Time Machine does not allow) and CCC is about as simple as it gets. I have 10.5 but have no desire to use Time Machine to be honest!

LittleApple08

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Iowa
OK so say I move to a new computer what's the process of restoring everything. Do I use this same cloning program to restore all my data?

LittleApple08

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Iowa
It is a 10.5 feature, so no go on 10.4.11. I would suggest using Carbon Copy Cloner instead (free download at http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html )- just get a small hard drive at least as big as your internal drive, format it in Disk Utility one time and use CCC to just clone the whole thing.

That way, NO files can be lost (with a side benefit that your backup will be bootable in case of emergencies which Time Machine does not allow) and CCC is about as simple as it gets. I have 10.5 but have no desire to use Time Machine to be honest!

Anyone know about this program he mentioned. I'm saving it as a DMG and putting it on my external HD. But how do I restore everything? Is there a way to Partion without losing save data? I am saving the Disk Image now, but I may partion my External some day. So how can I keep the information and split a drive into 2 halfs? or do I have to painfully go about saving the data on my external to my computer then do that?

Thanks!

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
Anyone know about this program he mentioned. I'm saving it as a DMG and putting it on my external HD. But how do I restore everything? Is there a way to Partion without losing save data? I am saving the Disk Image now, but I may partion my External some day. So how can I keep the information and split a drive into 2 halfs? or do I have to painfully go about saving the data on my external to my computer then do that?

Thanks!

Hi- let me try to answer some of your questions about Carbon Copy Cloner, partitioning, restoring and such....

Let's start with partitioning. As you know the easiest way to do this is before any data is on the external drive, but there are other ways if data already exists without wiping it out.

Perhaps the safest way of all is to do it is to use Disk Utility to create an "image file" of all the data on the external, creating that file on your internal (or another external) if you have enough room. That will avoid having to copy off individual files and will insure that all you data is saved. Step 2 of that would be to then go ahead and repartition the external and copy the stuff you saved to the image file back onto one of the partitions, leaving another partition for the clone copy of your internal that Carbon Copy Cloner will create for you.

A second way is to obtain and use a copy of iPartition which is a utility specifically for repartitioning a disk with data already on it ( http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iPartition.php ). There is a downloadable demo at that site. I would not consider this AS safe as method 1 but to their credit Corollis Systems has been around for a good long while (at least in the PC world) and iPartition has gotten some pretty good reviews, so that is a decision you need to make.

Carbon Copy Cloner DOES need a blank disk (or partition) to clone to the first time. When completed, the disk or partition will literally be a "carbon copy" of your internal drive so if you just need to restore a file or two you can copy them directly back to your internal drive. If you instead want to completely restore your internal disk, you just run CCC again, only this time using your external disk or partition as the source and your internal drive as the destination-- exactly opposite of what you do when you first clone the internal drive.

The external drive or partition you use should be the same size (or larger, though extra space is unnecessary and will be wasted) as you internal drive. That way no matter how full your internal disk gets you will always be able to CCC it to your external. DON'T just make the partition the same size as what you currently have used on your internal drive as that does not take growth into consideration.

Good luck and sorry this was so long- ask away if you have other questions and I or someone will try to get back to you quicker next time around!

LittleApple08

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Iowa
Cool thanks. I think you answered my questions and I got the just. I'll try and Partion my external.

Thank you all :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.