restoring files from carbon copy cloner

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macadmiral, Dec 1, 2008.

1. macadmiral macrumors member

Hi there people!

I just got a new macbook pro with a larger hard drive! I used time machine to restore all my sytem settings etc from my old macbook, but it didnt have all my videos and music etc because the hdd was too small. I used ccc to clone my hdd every once in a while to save all my videos. I now want to restore everything on my mbp that I couldnt keep on my macbook because of the size. How can I do that with my ccc clone? I choose the ext hdd for the source but then my macintosh hdd doesnt show up in the target?

Thanks for any and all help good folks!

2. catroom macrumors newbie

I think you have to boot from the volume you want to use as a source if you’re intending to clone.

Why not just drag and copy the files you want from the ccc clone to your hard drive?

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Like catroom said you will probably just want to drag the video files and such from the external that holds your clone to your internal. If you had a CCC backup of your full drive from before, a restore (which essentially is just a clone in reverse- from the external back to the internal) will restore everything contained by the clone. This includes all the system files, user files, etc. in your clone, not just your videos.

And since it would be restoring system files, you would need to be booted from the external in the first place to move all the files on the clone onto your internal drive even if you wanted to. You can't replace OS files on a currently booted drive so it can't be used as the target which is why yours does not show as available to be a target. You can be booted from any drive BUT the target, not just the source drive (like if you had a third drive that was bootable).