Restoring from a Time Machine backup - how well has it worked for you?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by spaceballl, Feb 7, 2008.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

So, I sold my current macbook on eBay and I need to ship it out next week. The goal is to use that money to help buy a new Macbook Pro whenever they come out. I'm going to format the drive for the new buyer so i'm basically depending on the time machine disk that sits on my desk - how reliable have your restore experiences been? Any horror stories? I can't afford to lose my data. Thanks!

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

I've done full restores from Time Machine a few times on multiple machines, including as a way to migrate to a different hard drive and have had no problems at all, so I'd recommend it. But I'm also OCD about backups, so I always keep at least two backups on separate external drives...now that Super Duper! is Leopard compatible, I'm keeping a TM backup and a clone on one drive, and another clone and a clone of the TM backup on a second external drive and then storing the drives separately. So if you're totally OCD like me you can try something like that...otherwise in my experience a TM backup is perfectly reliable.