Restoring from an encrypted Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bingefeller, May 1, 2018.

1. bingefeller macrumors 6502a

Hi folks,

I've been having some problems and I think the best thing to do is a clean install of High Sierra. I have my bootable USB made but I have one question:

FileVault is turned on as it is for my Time Machine back up (although I can't remember if this was automatic given my HD was encrypted when I performed my first back up). Will this cause me any problems when I'm restoring all my info back on to my fresh install of High Sierra? Will my encrypted Time Machine volume still be readable, given that it's encrypted, by the main HD after reinstallation?

2. Shadow Jolteon macrumors regular

Shadow Jolteon

When you try to restore from an encrypted Time Machine backup, you will need to enter the password you used to encrypt it originally. If you're not sure what that password is, it is likely saved in your keychain and accessible through Keychain Utility. Just locate its entry in the list, double-click it, then check the "Show Password" box to see the password.

If you just enabled FileVault 2, that should only encrypt your boot volume and not any other attached drives. Encrypted Time Machine backups are stored in an encrypted sparse bundle disk image file, and you'd need to have explicitly enabled encryption for your backups.

3. bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502a

Many thanks for the reply. FileVault 2 has always been enabled so, hopefully, there won't be a problem.