Restoring from iCloud any different than local restore?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iregret, Nov 2, 2017.

1. iregret macrumors 6502a

I've never restored from iCloud before, although I am backing up to iCloud these days. Since the iPhone X is showing up tomorrow, I'm considering backing up from iCloud.

I know this has been asked before, but are there any differences between local backups and iCloud backups? I'm guessing some of my legacy apps, that are no longer available in the app store, will be lost. What about all my text messages and all that?

I got a new MacBook Pro but it only has a 256GB hard drive and I don't want to deal with backing up iTunes to an external hard drive when iCloud is likely much easier.

2. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

Only difference is speed. If you keep a lot of photos/videos on your phone, they restore immediately with a local backup. With iCloud, it will download them and this can take a few hours if you have a lot.

Other than that, everything is restored.

3. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

And music which I'm sure is implied but some might not realize.

4. iregret thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. adam1080 macrumors regular

adam1080

Never done an iCloud backup on my phone. (Have for parents.)

I have at least 120GB on my backup so yeah....

I wish that were easier cause I am backed up to my iMac which will be 2000 miles away from me when I get my phone. And will be for the next 8 days.

Getting the phone while on a business trip/visiting family. Glad I was able to switch my shipping address but I will have a new phone for 8 days and then restore my backup.

Also giving my current phone to my mom while I'm there. So not ideal.