Restoring from iCloud backup taking FOREVER

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by treyjustice, Jun 28, 2017.

1. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

I lost my iPhone 7 last weekend in the river and got a replacement through insurance yesterday. I got everything activated and signed in and chose restore from iCloud backup. It initially said an hour, then 2 hours, etc. It now says "time remaining: about 2 days" The backup is 13.9 gb. I was able to setup as a new iPhone but that doesn't help me because I don't have my messages, apps, etc.

Any idea what I can do? I don't see how 13.9 gb should take 2 days. I've tried older backups and same thing. I do not have an iTunes backup. The only thing I really wanted was my photos and messages. I can redownload apps if I have to.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yup, I noticed that once, so that's why I only use iTunes backups.

I think as its being restored, you can keep using the phone.

3. treyjustice thread starter macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Ugh so frustrating. Is there a way to get my imessage conversation history from macbook to iPhone if I just set up as a new iphone?

4. rjcchan macrumors member

I was just about to start a thread about this so I guess this is normal:

I am restoring my iPhone from its iCloud backup. I went to bed and it estimated the process would take 9 hours. When I got up this morning the progress bar had not moved and the estimate was "about 2 days". The backup was 1.2G and there was about 40G storage use reported by the phone before I started. Most of the storage was being used by Apps. I know that redownloading all those Apps will take time and that YMMV applies to all restores but I seem to be stuck on the estimating time progress bar page. Is there any way to tell? I cannot get to settings to stop the process. My only choices is to wait it out or start over.

5. treyjustice thread starter macrumors 65816

treyjustice

I am in the exact same boat. I ended up setting up as a new iphone because I need my phone to use. My photos are all on iCloud so they sync. I'm just redownloading my apps. Only thing is I wish I have my iMessage conversation history.

6. rjcchan macrumors member

I just saw a post on the Apple forums from a woman who is starting labor and needs to call her husband but is having this problem. We should count our blessings.