"Restoring from iCloud" on lockscreen for more than a day now

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by iHavequestions, Sep 24, 2014.

1. iHavequestions macrumors regular

That's the message on my lockscreen.

Just wondering if it's actually still restoring. All my apps are updated but maybe there are still settings being restored? Just weird how it's been like this for a day now. Then again, my keyboard shortcuts haven't been ported over so maybe there are so many little things like that still restoring?

Just wondering if anyone knows for sure.

2. Jigga macrumors 6502

Yes, it takes a while.
    Mine took over 30 hours to restore.

3. iHavequestions thread starter macrumors regular

Yikes. Are passwords also restored? It's a pain in the butt to login to the many apps I have.

4. BrettDS macrumors 65816

It depends on how fast your internet connection is and how much data you need to restore, but more than a few hours is a bit out of the ordinary with a reasonably quick internet connection and an average amount of data. I have seen restores get stuck and often powering off the phone and restarting it will help to get things moving again. Worst case, you can always tell it to stop restoring if you're convinced that you have everything back. Obviously you can tell when all your apps have finished installing, but other things to check would be your photos and your messages. A quick way to check this is to look at the size of photos and messages under usage. If you're restoring from an old phone, compare the size that shows on the old phone with the size on the new phone. If they're the same, then the restore should be complete. If not, then obviously it has more work to do. If you don't have the old phone or you're restoring a backup from the current phone, then check the size once, and give it 20 or 30 minutes then check the size again. If the size is increasing, then it's still actively restoring. If not, then it's probably done.

As far as passwords go, typically passwords are saved if you're restoring to the same physical device. If you're restoring a backup of one phone to another phone, then the passwords will probably not be restored.

5. 3square macrumors regular

you can stop the process. goto setting/icloud/backup stop
    mine was stuck on that for the longest time as well. everything restored, photos apps etc.

6. iHavequestions thread starter macrumors regular

It finally went away. And I saw photos were updated. Just took awhile.