iPhone Restoring from iCloud stuck on lock screen

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by GDV27, Sep 20, 2014.

1. GDV27 macrumors newbie

I tried to install iOS 8. After all night, it was frozen. Tried to restore from iTunes. After 6 or 7 hours, it was frozen, too. Finally, I restored from iCloud. Everything seems to be there and it's working fine. However, it still says "restoring from iCloud backup" on the lock screen. This is 7 hours after all apps and pictures have restored. It's been on wifi most of that time. I'm reluctant to start a new restore with how buggie these restores have been. Any other ideas or should I just live with it?

2. BrettDS macrumors 65816

Restoring from iCloud stuck on lock screen

If you're comfortable that you have everything back, then it's safe to stop the restore (settings, iCloud, backup, stop restore). Apps, photos, and iMessages are all things that can take a while to restore. My wife has nearly 3 gig in iMessage because she saves all her old messages and it can take a few hours after the restore otherwise appears to be finished before it finishes loading all her messages. The way I check the progress is to look at the usage details for the iMessage size. Check it once, then wait 20 or 30 minutes and check it again and see if it's any higher.

You can also try turning the device off and on again. It won't mess with the restore and in a number of cases I've seen that fix a restore that gets stuck. Turn it off and on again and give it another hour or two and see if it finishes on its own.