Restoring from the iCloud now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Splitbolt, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Splitbolt macrumors regular

I've had many iPhones (and iPads). I have always backed them up by connecting a USB cable and Syncing inside of iTunes, then going to iPhoto to upload the photos.

I stopped doing that a few months ago, I set my iPhone and iPad to backup to iCloud. However, I still upload photos to my MBA manually (I didn't want to fill my iCloud with pictures).

In the past, when I upgraded to a new iPhone or iPad, I would just restore it from iTunes and it would make the new phone just like the old one, which I loved.

My question is, will it be the same now? I just restore from iCloud? I assume one big difference is that all of my photos won't go onto the new phone like they did back when using iTunes. But will everything else restore the same?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Everything will be the same. It's just the source is different. However, if you elected not to backup photos to iCloud, then none will be restored.

iTunes automatically downloads and installs the apps you had for you though. With a restore from iCloud however, your phone will automatically download the previous apps (iCloud doesn't actually back those up). Any data you had for those apps will be restored however.

So…you may want to have your iPhone on WiFi when you restore from iCloud.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I use the cloud, too. But I also do full encrypted backups on iTunes at least every month. While the cloud will restore your phone to a point. If you know you are changing devices, I still prefer and full encrypted backup from iTunes. It is way faster and 100% complete.

4. Splitbolt thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys!

The problem with using iTunes now is that I will lose stuff from my phone (music and who knows what else) if I connect it to iTunes.

5. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Which stuff? New stuff purchased directly on phone? Before you backup on iTunes, transfer purchases to sync new content to computer before backing up.

6. Splitbolt thread starter macrumors regular

I was going to sell my computer so I deleted everything in iTunes like TV shows and all my music before deactivating it. But then I never sold that computer.

I was told that if I try to sync with iTunes now, it will delete those songs and anything else from the iPhone.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

If the songs were from your CD media and no longer recorded into iTunes you are right