Restoring from time machine back up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Stan Halen, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Stan Halen macrumors newbie

So I got my mac fixed and I picked it up from apple store, when I was restoring I messed with the external as I was restoring and stopped it in the middle. So I don't have a snow leopard disk or any disk with me. If I borrowed a leopard disk could I restore? I want to restore completely from the day my computer crashed. any ideas?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

IIRC, restoring from a Leopard disc will install Leopard with your apps and such, since it installs the OS from the disc, not the TM backup.

3. Stan Halen thread starter macrumors newbie

that's what I thought.

what can I do?

I have a dmg of snow leopard and I was trying to make it boot from the external but I cant get it set up.

4. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

The first thing you need to do is make sure the drive is formated as a GUID partition scheme if not OS X won't recognize it. Then install the OS on the external drive. When starting up hold the option key down at startup and a screen will appear where you can select what volume to boot from.

You may have an issue because you stopped the process mid-way typically what happens is when you do a full restore from time machine it resets itself. So I don't know if the premature stop may have caused this (something to be aware of).

Cheers

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given the price of Snow Leopard, just pick up a copy. I mean why you inferred you have a dmg of SL, but not the disk, i.e., stole it. At 25 bucks there's really no reason not to have it. That will also solve your problem with Time Machine.