Restoring from Time Machine backup after replacing harddrive.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by The General, Mar 18, 2008.

1. The General macrumors 601

I got a 320GB harddrive for my MacBook Pro and put it in there, I can format it in Disk Utility and everything. I am trying to restore my old system from my other harddrive onto this new bigger harddrive. I have a Time Machine backup and I booted my Mac OS X disc, but when I go to Utilities -> Restore from Time Machine backup and go through the menus I am stuck at "searching for discs" ... it's really starting to irritate me. Can I just bust out the Terminal and

cp -Rv /path/to/backup/Macintosh\ HD/* /Volumes/Macintosh HD/

or will that not work?

2. The General thread starter macrumors 601

Nevermind, the problem appears to have solved itself with a restart. :eek:

3. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I just did the same thing with a 250gig for my MBP. it would have been a bit helpful if somewhere it told you that you needed to restart after formating the new hard drive. was a bit frustrating seeing just sit the "Searching for Disks"

Peace:cool:

4. nickq macrumors newbie

hi guys, im trying to do the same for my macbook, I currently have an 80GB HD and i want to upgrade to a 320GB. my question is, if i just use time machine and backup to external hd, then upgrade, install leopard and use time machine to restore settings, would it all be back the way i left it?

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. CreativeCrayon macrumors newbie

CreativeCrayon

hello everybody, im new to the hole macRumors deal. but i am having this problem as well. i am trying to upgrade my ibook g4 from the stock 40GB hard drive to a 160GB hard drive. i was wondering it there is a way that i can restore from time machine with out the leopard discs, because i got this computer from ebay and it didnt come with the install disks, and so i dont want to risk losing my files. i do have 2 external hard drives witch one has all of my time machine stuff on it and i was wondering if there was anyway i were able to upgrade the hard drive with out having to fork out the extra money for install disks. thanks guys,
    CreativeCrayon