Restoring from Time Machine = Not so great

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kevindosi, Dec 13, 2007.

1. kevindosi macrumors regular

So I just purchased a new internal hard drive to upgrade from 120gb on my Macbook. I've been doing time machine backups daily, so I thought I'd just pop in the new hard drive and restore from Time Machine. First, just to be safe, I forced a backup on time machine (which I've had to do about 50% of the time, because it doesn't always backup automatically), waited forever for it to backup as it constantly gets stuck, and then I opened up time machine to make sure it had backed up. I looked back through a few other backups, made sure everything was there, shut down and replaced my hard drive. When I chose to restore from an existing time machine backup, everything went smoothly. About an hour later, I was up and running. But wait, what is this? My desktop from several weeks ago? Hmm... I opened time machine again, went back to the previous backup, and the labels showed that I had backed up every day, but the files did not correspond to the dates. For instance, Time machine would show me a backup from "yesterday at 10:45 pm" but it would in fact be a backup from weeks ago. I've been watching the slow progress of time machine backups to make sure it successfully baked up, but for some reason I can't see anything that has happened for the last few weeks.
    So, luckily I didn't have enough faith in the first place to wipe out my original hard drive. I replaced it, completely wiped off previous time machine backups, did a new backup, replaced my old hard drive, and I'm currently restoring from the new backup (I figure that it couldn't mess this up if there's only one backup on there). I'll post later to tell you the results.
    All I can say is, it's a good thing I was just upgrading and my hard drive didn't crash. I would have been screwed, because I totally scrapped superduper, which was doing daily backups, when I got Leopard and started using time machine.

Something interesting I noticed was that, when restoring from a backup, there was an option to "Select a remote disk." I wonder if I could have restored from there, even though airport disks aren't supported anymore.

Anyway, this has been a huge hassle (and could have been an even bigger one had my hard drive crashed). Hope this and the ridiculously slow backups are fixed in the near future.

2. kolax macrumors G3

Time Machine first time it is run backs up your whole hard drive. Then, each backup after that is any new files and any edited files.

Your main system probably hasn't changed since the first backup, therefore that would be the date when the main system was backed up.

Did it work properly though?

3. kevindosi thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not sure what you mean - my main system hasn't changed since my initial backup? My computer is definitely quite different from the first time I backed up - I have a ton of more pictures, music, programs, etc (which were all apparently backed up on time machine but not restored to my new hard drive.)
    I'm not sure why this happened, but that whole process of clearing my external, switching the hard drives, backing up, switching again, and restoring worked like a charm. Well, it worked fine... just a much bigger hassle than it should have been.