Restoring from Time Machine

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Neoraven, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Neoraven macrumors member

Hey all,

Quick question: I'm upgrading from a late 2007 C2D MB (OSX 10.5.8) to the current 17" MBP, and I keep regular back ups on Time Machine. Besides the programs that won't working jumping into 10.6, are there any other issues i might face? And how exactly do I go about restoring from time machine to make a seamless transition to my new machine?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

With certain applications (off the top of me head Office) I had to re-enter the serial numbers etc. Kind of annoying, and could well have been solved with recent updates.

3. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

I haven't had the serial number issue, knock on wood.

Migrating from a time machine backup is pretty easy. When you're starting up the new Mac, after you pick your language, you're given the option to migrate over from another laptop, a time machine backup, or to skip that step. Select the time machine backup method, pick the time machine profile to migrate from, and away it goes.

Depening on how much you have to copy over, it could take several hours.

Restoring from a time machine backup is just as easy. Load up your install disk and boot up from it, cancel out of the installation window and go up to the menu bar. I don't remember the options, but there's a restore option embedded in the menu.

4. Neoraven thread starter macrumors member

5. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

6. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

+1...very important...:D