Restoring Hard Drive to 1 partition

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DeadRobot, Aug 14, 2009.

1. DeadRobot macrumors newbie

Hello!

I have a 2006 Macbook Pro. 2 Ghz and 512 MB. OS 10.5.7. I have a 80 GB internal hard drive.

I was messing around with Linux on my Macbook Pro and managed to screw it up. So now my internal hard drive partitioning scheme looks like this:
    [​IMG]

So 46.7 GB is for Mac OSX and there is 26 GB of free space.

I would like to add this free space to the OSX partition. Is there any way I can do that?

Disk Utility maybe?

2. Farplaner macrumors 6502

Clicking on the Macintosh HD drive and resize it to full doesn't work? If so:

- Back up your data with time machine (always do this if you're repartitioning anything in case anything goes wrong)
    - Use your OSX CD in, boot it up and run the disk utility from there to resize

3. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

I may be a way off, but do you not click the drop down box that says "Current" and select "1 Partition"?

4. DeadRobot thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried using Disk Utlity from the OSX disc but it gives me an error:
    "Parition failed with the error. Could not unmount disk"

I've tried erasing, restoring from disk image, makign the free space into a partition but I always get the unmount disk error.

5. Z06jerry macrumors regular

No, that will erase the data.

6. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

Yeh, it was a punt.

7. Z06jerry macrumors regular

As stated by Farplaner above, you should be able to click on your Macintosh HD partition (using disk utility in your utility folder) and type in the new size you want

8. DeadRobot thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I'm not sure if the Apple Store will be able to do anything for you. I would try installing rEFIt and running the gptsync utility. It could be a problem with the partition table causing the issue.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I bet the reason why you got this error was because you started the disk utility after booting up OSX (from the hard drive).

Did you using the disk utility after inserting the system disc, reboot and holding the C key down? btw, the disk utility will be in the tools menu after you get beyond the EULA agreement.

If you don't boot up off the install disk, but rather the hard drive, that hard drive is then locked and you cannot alter the partition.

Edit:

**** warning****
    I almost forgot to add that by doing this, you'll lose all your data and apps. repartitioning is a destructive action and so be sure you have up to date backups.

Try using bootcamp to remove the partition, that's non-destructive. I was able to use BC to remove my linux partition when I screwed something up. It prevented me from needing to wipe my entire disk and reinstall OSX. You'll need to reinstall OSX if you use disk utility.