Restoring Hard Drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macdaddy121, Feb 7, 2008.

1. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

Alright, I looked but I can't find anything with this particular issue....

I backed up my hard drive using time machine on an external hard drive and then I did a fresh install of Leopard because I was having a problem partitioning for Bootcamp. Anyway, I have reinstalled Leopard and partitioned and installed Windows through Bootcamp.

Now, I want to get all of my old preferences, applications, documents, passwords on my keychain, etc....how do I do this? Should I just hook the Hard Drive back up and drag over the backup file? What options do I have? Sorry guys I just don't know how to do this. Thanks for all of the help.

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I believe there's an option in the Leopard installer to "Restore from Time Machine backup." I could be wrong though, never used it myself. :cool:

3. macdaddy121 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right but will that delete my Windows partition? I can't lose any of that...

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Again, I haven't used it myself, but I'm sure it prompts you to choose a volume to restore to. Time Machine just backs up your files, not the logical configuration of your disk, so it stands to reason that your Windows partition would remain untouched.

5. macdaddy121 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It sounds logical that it would only bring in my old files from the back up...but I just spent 6 hours trying to partition my hard drive so I could use Windows and I would hate to lose that.

Anyone know in more detail?

Thanks killmoms49!!

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321