Restoring iCal Events

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PkennethV, Jul 3, 2008.

1. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

I've just lost everything on my hard disk, and am looking for a way to restore iCal events. I have a backup of the entire Library folder (both the one located at the root of the hard drive and the one in my Users folder). I've tried copying the iCal folder found in /Users/My_Username/Library/Application Support, but that doesn't seem to have any effect on iCal once I start it up. Is it supposed to be another file that I'm supposed to have copied over?

Also, I have all the events synced to my iPod touch. Is there a way to restore from there as well? I'm hoping that it's as simple as plugging it in and clicking a button on a pop up menu, but I don't want to risk doing that my self right now in case that is going to erase all the events from my iPod.

thanks in advance!

2. PkennethV thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

did you back up with time machine? or an external hdd? try the migration assistant application

4. PkennethV thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've backed up to an external HD using SuperDuper and the "Back up all files" preset. However, it's just backed up to a Sparse Disk Image on the external HD, not to its own partition.

I've tried the Restore feature in Disk Utility but it won't let me select the Sparse Image so restore from (an error message pops up). So I've basically reinstalled the OS and started from scratch.

I was hoping that just copying a few folders/files would put my events back in iCal.

5. fewture macrumors regular

6. PkennethV thread starter macrumors 6502a

:( When I tried to move the entire folder, it said that that the file Calender Cache is in use. So I just tried copying over all the folders since the Calender folder except the Calender Cache files, but that doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Maybe all the information is stored in the Calender Cache files then? In that case, how do I quit whatever is using those files (iCal isn't open)?