Restoring iMac with SL

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fleawannabe, Jul 18, 2012.

1. fleawannabe macrumors regular

I recently bought a new MBP and I need to restore my 2007 iMac that came with Leopard and now has Snow Leopard. My question is can I restore it with Snow Leopard or do I have to restore it with Leopard then update it to Snow Leopard?

Thanks

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I went through something like this some time ago. With Applecare on the phone, I put the original OS on the machine and then applied all the updates. I never understood why they insisted I go dig up my original DVD when I told them I had a SL disk close by. It wasn't such a big deal to me at the time. I imagine the issue is the SL DVD isn't intended to restore a system that has been wiped, rather to upgrade an existing Mac. I never bothered to test whether or not it would have worked if I had skipped installing Leopard.

Now that I'm using Lion and ML, I make myself USB sticks (BEFORE allowing the OS to install the first time) so I don't have to fall all the way back to a much older OS if I ever have a problem.

3. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

The Snow Leopard discs CAN be used to restore a Mac from scratch. Apple labels it an upgrade but it is the full version of the operating system.