Restoring iOS9 phone with iOS10 backup?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by l3oom, Oct 11, 2016.

1. l3oom macrumors newbie

Long story short...

I backed up my iPhone 7 yesterday using iOS10, and now looking to restore this backup to an iOS9 iPhone SE setup device. iTunes is not allowing me to do so, without upgrading the iOS9 to the new iOS.

Is there anyway around this? I'd like to keep iOS9 as I like the swipe to unlock feature, among a few others.

Let me know, if not I guess I will just update the phone to iOS10.

Thanks!

2. ScottButler macrumors regular

ScottButler

Unfortunately a backup created on a newer version of iOS cannot be restored to an older version

3. l3oom thread starter macrumors newbie

Good to know! It seems I may have an older backup that's iOS 9, trying that now. But it seems the phone is making me upgrade now...
    --- Post Merged, Oct 11, 2016 ---
    Update:

I went to File -> Devices -> Restore from Backup and it had a different backup listed (one from 9/30 when I backed up my old iPhone 5 iOS9 backup) and now we are good to go.

How long can I keep iOS 9 without updating to iOS10?

Thanks!

4. ScottButler macrumors regular

ScottButler

You can keep iOS 9 for as long as you like. However eventually when your phone is charging and connected to Wi-Fi, iOS 10 will download in the background and you will be asked repeatedly if you want to install it. I'm not sure there's a way around that but you can always select 'Remind Me Later' when it pops up.

The only reason you'd have to move from iOS 9 is for new features, eventually apps may drop support for iOS 9 (but that's probably a while off yet) or if you wanted to upgrade your phone to the 7 or later. As they always come with the iOS version released that same year as a minimum.

P.S. If you need to restore your phone for any reason and iOS 9 stops being signed by Apple, which will happen very soon, you would have to install the latest version

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

You can take a look at http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/way-to-block-ios-10-from-downloading.2002557/ to see how to avoid having iOS 10 automatically download.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Also, if you let iOS 10 download you can just delete it and you won't be asked again about it (at least until the next iOS update).

7. newellj macrumors 603

The long version (in iOS 10; iOS 9 should be the same or close enough): Settings>General>Storage & iCloud Usage>Storage-Manage Storage Find iOS 10 (should be at the top of the list) and delete it.