Restoring iPad jailbroken iOS 6 to factory new condition.

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by getstuff4less, Oct 20, 2013.

1. getstuff4less macrumors member

Hello,

I recently sold a jailbroken iOS 6 iPad 4 on eBay. The buyer hasn't received the product yet. In our email communications she asked what the benefits of a jailbreak are because she is not very tech savvy.

In my description I offered to upgrade the iPad to iOS 7 and remove the jailbreak before sending out the iPad. Hopefully, she will not mess up the restore since she herself claims to not be tech savvy.

Can someone link to easy instructions on restoring a iPad that is jailbroken to factory new condition? Does doing this automatically upgrade you to iOS 7?

Thank you!

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

3. getstuff4less, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013

getstuff4less thread starter macrumors member

Actually, I already sent her an email a few days ago with a link from about.com. I guess I wanted actual user experiences. I'm worried because I read that some people brick their devices or cannot restore them.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, it can be tricky to get into DFU mode, I suppose, but if you do that properly, your device shouldn't brick. People who report their devices bricking either didn't get into DFU, or their device had a hardware failure. Of course, there are people wailing because they want to preserve their jailbreak, which adds to the impression that catastropy is common when trying to restore an iDevice to factory settings, but it is actually not that common.

Since you've jailbroken, I assume you've put devices into DFU before? I would certainly just restore before sending it out, a novice user trying to get a device into DFU could lead to lots of complications.

5. getstuff4less, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013

That's the problem… I sent out the device out on Thursday. They tried to deliver it on Saturday, but since it required a signature it's on hold. I have had messages since the sale and in one of them she said what are the advantages of jail breaking and that she is the novice user.

I didn't want the end-user to do anything technical. That's why I specifically said that if you want me to remove the jailbreak and upgrade the iPad tell me before sending it out. All I did was install the patient jailbreak a few months ago. For a novice user can see just five in iPad into iTunes and hit him choose one?

Regarding simple Google searches; I found this site to be pretty cool.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You sent it out without restoring? How did you remove your data?

Does she have an Windows machine?

7. getstuff4less thread starter macrumors member

I didn't really have that many apps installed. I basically uninstalled all the nonstock applications, cleared out the history, cookies and cache, auto fill information, Apple ID, and mail accounts. I didn't have any contacts, so other than that I hope I didn't miss anything.

I wasn't sure if I could restore without it automatically downloading the latest version of IOS in the restore.

As far as the Windows machine I don't know…

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, it's an iPad 4 so it shouldn't be too horrible on iOS 7, if she decides to upgrade. And it has no jailbreak apps or tweaks on it? If you are sure you never installed Terminal, it should be okay to use as is. But you have to tell her she should never press "Erase All Contents and Settings." In fact I think the latest jailbreak disabled that function, because doing that on a jailbroken device causes the device to go into a boot loop. Anyway, if she ever wants to restore or upgrade, she would need to get it into DFU mode.

Or maybe you should just point her to MacRumors once she gets it, and she can get her own help with what to do about her iPad. ;)

9. ppfd macrumors regular

ppfd

Yeah "erase all contents and settings" on a JB device just loops. I found that out on an iphone. It doesn't do any damage, might make one nervous if they have never worked with a JB device.

Have to restore thought itunes either to original OS or re jailbreak - set up as new device.

10. getstuff4less, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013

To confirm: She is safe using instructions found on the web to restore it safely right?
    The original cables were sealed. Could it be something as simple as she is putting in the USB cable backwards?