Restoring iPhone 3G without an OS update?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by szymonbartus, Dec 23, 2011.

1. szymonbartus macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have an iPhone 3G (not 3GS) which I got as a part of contract in 2009. It currently runs on iOS 3.1.3. It's jailbroken but I've never used the jaibreak for anything so I don't mind removing it. I would like to have an option of restoring my phone, however iTunes says that during the restoring it also automatically downloads and installs the iOS 4.2. I really want to avoid updating the iOS after hearing how slow is it on the iPhone 3G.
    Question: how can I restore my 3G without iOS update? By restoring I also mean uploading the contacts, photos etc. from the backup copy stored by iTunes.

I'm using iTunes 10.5.2.11.

Szymon

2. JunkyDog macrumors 6502

If the iPhone is JB, then you have the SHSH blobs for 3.1.3 i assume. If not, save the blobs right now with TU. If the iPhone never have been updated or downgraded, its time for you to start saving blobs with TU. When done you can restore the iOS the iPhone is running. Just download 3.1.3 IPSW and hit shift + restore, select the IPSW you downloaded. But if i am wrong, anyone else feel free to enlighten me if i did tell something wrong here, i always listen to those who have more experience then i have..

PS.
    You also need to edit your host file and remove anything that points to apple servers, both lines need to be removed. And if i am correct, start TU and connect your device, press save blobs/shsh. Then go to advanced settings, untick the cydia server and start TSS server, then start iTunes, and do the thing i told you above.

3. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

For 3G, there is no need for SHSH blobs for firmware under 4.x.x. So, just download 3G 3.1.3 onto your computer,

Put your phone in DFU, hit shift + restore and point it to 3.1.3 fw. Sit back and Itunes will do the rest for you. Once it is done, it will boot up to activation screen. You will need an original sim to activate it so it can by pass to the home screen.

4. superpepino macrumors newbie

see i tried doing this and i don't have my shsh blobs saved but i come up with a 1015 error after going through everything :/

5. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

This is normal. When you see 1015 error, just open tiny umbrella, click on your device and hit exit recovery. It will boot up normally to activation screen (USB & Itunes and slide for emergency bar at the bottom).

6. superpepino macrumors newbie

ahhh that worked perfectly! thank you so much :] now i just need to find a sim >.>

7. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Use redsn0w to hactivate it to by pass emergency screen to bring your phone to home screen if you don't have original sim.

8. superpepino macrumors newbie

what would i click then? it gives me the options to "just boot, pwned fix, recovery fix, shsh blobs, select ipsw, custom ipsw, preferences"

9. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Don't use that. It is too new for your firmware.

Go to iclarified.com, look at tutorial for your phone, firmware you have and get the redsnow version you need.

10. superpepino macrumors newbie

i wasnt able to find the right one so i just ended up taking my sisters sim card and activating it that way -_- lol