iPhone Restoring iPhone 3GS to iOS 6 but...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mok23, Oct 20, 2012.

1. mok23 macrumors member

I have (2) iPhone 3Gs, called AT&T, and got it factory unlocked. However, in order to complete the factory unlock i have to restore. Both iPhones are on iOS 4/5. 1 iPhone has a baseband of 6.15.00 and another has 5.16.05. I want to go ahead and restore them but im afraid I might brick them and not be able to sell them. I know for baseband 6.15.00, i heard you can downgrade the baseband. and restore from there. can i restore the other iphone that has a baseband of 5.16.05, is it safe? please let me know so i can go ahead restore to iOS 6 and have my phones officially factory unlocked. Im selling both of the iPhone 3Gs 16gb.. if you guys need additional info let me know such as serial or IMEI numbers

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Once AT&T notifies you the lock is approved, Use SAM to deactivate your phone (Utilities Tab)
    Kill SAM from the TaskManager
    Put a sim in it and reactivate it in iTunes
    Booooom - unlocked
    http://www.bingner.com/SAM.html

3. mok23 thread starter macrumors member

i can do that with the iPhone that has a baseband of 5.16.05 right? or can i do it with the baseband 6.15.00? because the 6.15.00 to my knowledge is a iPad baseband.. is there a way to downgrade 6.15.00 use sam and then restore? i just want to be able to restore both phones to ios 6 because there going to be factory unlocked, i dont care what baseband the phones are on.

could this be an additional option?

http://iclarified.com/25144/how-to-upgrade-your-iphone-4-3gs-without-updating-the-baseband-windows

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Baseband is irrelevant to deactivating/reactivating to apply the IMEI unlock

Just make sure you put a sim in prior to connecting it to iTunes

5. mok23 thread starter macrumors member

okay. So just do the Sam thing and I should be good.. I won't have to worry about having a bricked phone? and I can update to ios6 correct?

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Except for sudden hardware failure, you cannot "brick" an iPhone.
    It is just n00b overused terminology.
    You can update to iOS6 and the unlock will remain

7. mok23 thread starter macrumors member

ok great thanks. Just to be clear I have (2) iPhone 3GS', one has a baseband of 6.15.00 and 5.16.05 , I called AT&T requested to do a factory unlock I was approved and they told me to factory restore.. Before I do that I have to do the SAM thing and it will work? I'm a little skeptical on the phone that has a baseband of 6.15.00 because it is a iPad baseband, won't that mess up the activation process? Or damage cellular connectivity? I just don't want to take the chance of having the phone being stuck on activating for even getting service. knowing I'm going to be selling the phones. Thanks

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

The SAM procedure is in lieu of doing a restore

If you want to get rid of the iPad baseband (I would), read this
    To get rid of the iPad baseband
    http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/26534086824/baseb...
    iClarified.com has a tutorial how to do this

9. mok23 thread starter macrumors member

I want both devices to be on IOS 6 and basically everything restored. Ill try removing the baseband 6.15.00, if it wasn't a problem putting it on I'm sure I can take it off, but for the iPhone that has a baseband of 5.16.05 I can just go ahead and go to iTunes and restore it correct? keep in mind both of these devices are jail broken and unlocked by ultra snow

10. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Ultrasn0w is not yet compatible with iOS6

11. mok23 thread starter macrumors member

im saying currently one is on ios 5 and one is on ios 4.. there unlocked by ultra snow.. i called att and they are factory unlocked.. i just wanna be able to update to ios 6 without damaging the phones baseband chip or any sort of hardware related issue by restoring and updating.

12. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

put it in DFU and do a normal restore in itunes, the BB will update with the restore to iOS. As you say you are unlocked it should work without any problems.

13. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Not sure how to respond to this ?
    Generally Apple is not in the business of releasing firmware updates that damage the baseband chip or other hardware components of their phones. :confused:

If you intended instead to ask if the phones would remain unlocked if you update, the answer is they will always remain unlocked regardless of firmware or baseband.