Restoring iPhone 3GS to older firmware

dacapo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
I did a search but am not sure if I phrased my search correctly, so apologies in advance if there is an easy answer for this.

Basically, I'm on 4.0.1 JB and I have my SHSH blobs from 3.1.3 all the way up using Saurik's method.

But, I need to take my phone in to Apple to see if they will replace it. But if they don't (since it's out of warranty), I'd like to stay on a lower iOS version, like 4.3.3, if possible.

Since it's been over a year since my JB, I just can't remember the details. I'm guessing that I should download an older firmware, and then do a shift (or alt) restore in iTunes.

Now my question: If I do this, will I be able to take it in to the Apple Store as a clean/non-jb phone, or do I need to just do a clean restore and upgrade?

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
I did a search but am not sure if I phrased my search correctly, so apologies in advance if there is an easy answer for this.

Basically, I'm on 4.0.1 JB and I have my SHSH blobs from 3.1.3 all the way up using Saurik's method.

But, I need to take my phone in to Apple to see if they will replace it. But if they don't (since it's out of warranty), I'd like to stay on a lower iOS version, like 4.3.3, if possible.

Since it's been over a year since my JB, I just can't remember the details. I'm guessing that I should download an older firmware, and then do a shift (or alt) restore in iTunes.

Now my question: If I do this, will I be able to take it in to the Apple Store as a clean/non-jb phone, or do I need to just do a clean restore and upgrade?
Apple still signs 4.1 fw on 3GS. So, you can restore to this firmware. Like you said, shift + restore and point it to 4.1 to restore your phone to factory setting.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Thanks, one more quick question.
Do I still have to put the phone in DFU mode?
Since you are upgrading, I don't believe you need to put it into DFU, just shift + restore and point it to 4.1, and it will go through. Also, you will not get any error on this upgrading.

dacapo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
Since you are upgrading, I don't believe you need to put it into DFU, just shift + restore and point it to 4.1, and it will go through. Also, you will not get any error on this upgrading.
Awesome, thanks! :D

EDIT: Confirmed that it worked. Is 4.1 the only firmware that I can upgrade to on a 3GS, or are 4.2, 4.3 etc a possibility?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.