Restoring iPhone 3GS to older firmware

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dacapo, Jan 18, 2012.

1. dacapo macrumors 6502

I did a search but am not sure if I phrased my search correctly, so apologies in advance if there is an easy answer for this.

Basically, I'm on 4.0.1 JB and I have my SHSH blobs from 3.1.3 all the way up using Saurik's method.

But, I need to take my phone in to Apple to see if they will replace it. But if they don't (since it's out of warranty), I'd like to stay on a lower iOS version, like 4.3.3, if possible.

Since it's been over a year since my JB, I just can't remember the details. I'm guessing that I should download an older firmware, and then do a shift (or alt) restore in iTunes.

Now my question: If I do this, will I be able to take it in to the Apple Store as a clean/non-jb phone, or do I need to just do a clean restore and upgrade?

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Apple still signs 4.1 fw on 3GS. So, you can restore to this firmware. Like you said, shift + restore and point it to 4.1 to restore your phone to factory setting.

3. dacapo thread starter macrumors 6502

Really? That's awesome news! :D

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Not sure what happens there, but yes, Apple still signs this fw and it helps lot of us. :)

5. dacapo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, one more quick question.
    Do I still have to put the phone in DFU mode?

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Since you are upgrading, I don't believe you need to put it into DFU, just shift + restore and point it to 4.1, and it will go through. Also, you will not get any error on this upgrading.

7. dacapo, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012

dacapo thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome, thanks! :D

EDIT: Confirmed that it worked. Is 4.1 the only firmware that I can upgrade to on a 3GS, or are 4.2, 4.3 etc a possibility?