Restoring iPhone 4 from 3.1.2 backup

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jmconway, Jun 27, 2010.

1. jmconway macrumors newbie

I've got my current iPhone 3G jailbroken and thus haven't upgraded to iOS 4. When my iPhone 4 comes in tomorrow, will I be able to load my backup from my 3G onto it so I don't lose text messages and such? I'm not sure if 3.1.2 backups are compatible with 4, or if it matters.

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

3. Surely Guest

Surely

Yes, I can confirm that you won't have any issues transferring your data to your iPhone 4.

4. jmconway thread starter macrumors newbie

5. sanders4617 macrumors member

My 3G was jailbroken and I had it where the battery percentage would show.. When I got the iPhone 4.. That carried over and I couldn't turn it on or off in the options.. It always stayed on. At that point.. I decided that it was probably best for me to do a clean restore.. cause I didn't know what else could be going on.

But yes.. It will work.

6. stalyons macrumors newbie

I had ISSUES with my jailbroken 3GS running 3.1.3. I attempted to do a restore (still running iTunes 9.1) and it said something like "this phone is not eligible to run this OS" or something to that effect (it downloaded 3.1.3 from Apple before it would ever run the restore btw- not sure why really?). I tried everything from downloading 3.1.3 and booting up in "restore mode" (whatever it is called) and tried to manually choose that freshly downloaded image. It would not do anything so I downloaded iTunes 9.2 and upgraded to 4.0. That is when I could no longer web browse on EDGE or 3G. I found some sort of "hack" online that resolved that, but WOW all of the talk from fellow jailbreakers of "oh, it is easy to return to factory settings - simply RESTORE your phone". Well that was a mess. I was restoring it because of the time I bought the 3GS AT&T/Apple offered to exchange it for the iPhone 4 minus a 10% restocking fee. I wanted to return the phone to Apple un-jailbroken.

My wife had her's jailbroken too. When she got her new iPhone 4 her phone ALSO had the battery % on even though it was toggled "off" in the settings. Was it some sort of carry-over from the jailbroken backup? Due to the "NO SIM CARD" issue, Apple is replacing her phone with a new one. It is due to arrive tomorrow morning. She is most likely going to "Setup as a new phone" in iTunes in hopes of avoiding the same sort of mess.

I LOVED my jailbroken 3GS more than I like the iPhone 4 to be honest. I SO miss all of the options I had available. With the issues I/we have had with the jailbreak/un-jailbreak I am really hesitant to do it again with the new iPhone 4.