Restoring iPhone 4 to 5.0.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by vitaminz, Mar 12, 2012.

1. vitaminz macrumors member

I have an iPhone 4, with iOS 5.0.1 installed - it's also jailbroke using redsn0w (untethered). It's running extremely sluggish lately, and there's so much junk on there so I just want to completely restore and start again. I'm a bit nervous of doing so as I need my untethered jailbreak, mostly because I'll be tethering my iPad to it using PdaNet. So this means I can't update to 5.1 yet,.

What are my options here? Is Apple still signing 5.0.1 IPSW's? Or do I need to go about some other way?

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

3. iansilv macrumors 6502a

So how do we just discard our jailbreaks and install 5.1 fresh? My phone is running sluggishly too, but I am willing to dump the jailbreak.

4. heyyitzmelissa macrumors 6502

Click Restore in iTunes. OP, you can't restore to 5.0.1 no matter what. Unless...

5. vitaminz thread starter macrumors member

Isn't there any way I could with my SHSH blobs from Cydia? Or is there a 'non destructive' way to remove all personal data from an iPhone, keeping the OS?

6. kingofbling macrumors newbie

I purchased a phone over the weekend off craiglist, the guy had already updated to 5.1, i just googled a 5.0.1 IPSW then downloaded it, hit restore on itunes (hold down the shift key) then select the IPSW and that was it, no problems.

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

Again Apple stopped signing it So no there is no way.. TS you can ask any way you like answer is still no. Unless Apple starts signing it again. Shsh blobs aren't working 5.0 plus on A4 or A5 devices.

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

What you claim to have done is not possible.

All restores to unsigned iOS5 firmwares require the hash file and APTicket and they are device specific.

You cannot just download one off the internet and it will work.

Sorry, just being honest and trying to save others time and frustration.

9. JT17 macrumors newbie

This worked for me on my iPhone 4, after Apple stopped signing iOS 5.0.1:
    Using iFaith, you can take the iOS 5.0.1 IPSW and your 5.0.1 SHSH blob to build a signed IPSW. Then put your iPhone into Pwned DFU mode and you should be able to restore in iTunes using the signed IPSW.

10. sewbitchy macrumors newbie

Thank you!! Jt17

There is a god!! I just spent four hours trying everything possible and could not get my phone back to 5.0.1 It froze earlier on reboot and then it was stuck in bootloop. I was about to give up and just loose my jb when i came across this post and found out about ifaith. I hadnt heard of it and it worked my miracle!! I got my phone back finally. And without my phone Im like a train wreck. So to anyone else, it works!! Now I had all my shsh saved from TU so I dont know if thats a pre req but thank god I had them saved!

11. JT17 macrumors newbie

I'm glad I could help. :)

12. C.Kowalski macrumors newbie

There's currently no iFaith for Mac and my iPhone 4 has recently started to drop calls and having no audio if making a call. I just want to restore to iOS 5.0.1 (which I'm currently on with Corona (latest release through Cydia)) without losing all my JBs.

Is there a way to do that signing-magic without iFaith on Mac OS X?

Thanks in advance.

13. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Find a friend or relative with a PC

14. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

Yes, redsn0w can do it.

Read the SHSH blobs off the phone with redsn0w, stich them to the IPSW, put the phone in pwned DFU mode, and restore with iTunes. If iTunes give an error redsn0w may help you recover by kicking the phone out of DFU mode.

----------

This is just not true for A4 devices. redsn0w and ifaith can both read SHSH blobs off the phone and stitch them to the IPSW. For A5 devices you are absolutely right.