Restoring iPhone 4 to factory defaults after JBM3.0

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cparris05, Sep 28, 2011.

1. cparris05 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi, I'm new to this forum but you guys seem very knowledgable so I thought I'd come here for some help! I had iPhone firmware 4.3.3 originally, and jailbroke using jailbreakme3.0. All I want to do is unjailbreak, get back to 4.3.3 or 4.3.5 factory defaults. I successfully restored to a custom firmware, but every time I try to restore to stock 4.3.3 I get the "device is not able to be restored" message. And if I mess with my hosts file, I can get it to restore mostly, until I get error 1013.

So I supposed my questions are, is there anyway i can get back to stock? And would simply clicking restore in iTunes work?

Thanks for any help!

2. kinaan89 macrumors newbie

Hey there.
    I'm facing the same problem as you, I tried to restore my iphone by downloading the firmware and restoring it through itunes as well as clicking restore and update in itunes, both ways it stops midway and shows error message 1013.
    Now my iphone has gone to recovery mode and doesnt work, i dont know what to do about it so if guys anybody has an idea about it please help.

3. cparris05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well restoring isn't a problem, if you have your SHSH saved through Cydia or TinyUmbrella. I can PM you instructions on how to restore, but it restores to a jailbroken state.

And that's my issue. I just want to get rid of Cydia and be able to do clean installs.

4. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

Go to your hosts files and edit and delete all the lines related to apple. Restart iTunes, put your iPhone into DFU mode and hit restore. You'll be updated to a clean install of 4.3.5 :) You may want to set up as a 'new iPhone' if you want to completely remove any possible traces of a jailbreak, otherwise you can just restore from backup.

If you want to downgrade to 4.3.3, you'll need to the SHSH blobs for 4.3.3. Use tinyumbrella to collect them and save them locally. Start the TSS Server, run iTunes, put your iPhone in DFU mode and shift-restore to 4.3.3. You'll probably get an error afterwards.

Download fixrestore 4.3, put your iPhone into DFU mode and run the program. It should fix the error and you'll be on to 4.3.3 :)

5. cparris05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much! I should have come here yesterday instead of spending the whole day screaming at my phone. I feel like I tried everything else and this worked like a charm.

Thanks again!