Restoring iPhone 5 and iOS 7 download taking 30+ hours?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by madisonfaye, Apr 22, 2014.

1. madisonfaye macrumors regular

madisonfaye

I'm attempting to reset my iPhone 5 to factory settings so I can sell it. I tried to reset it on the phone, but it says that my restrictions passcode is incorrect. Throughout the day I've tried 9 different passcodes, and I highly doubt that it is not one of them, but thats a whole other issue.

I'm trying to reset the iPhone through iTunes. I was able to update my phone to iOS7 using the phone in 3 hours. However, even though it states that my phone is up to date, when I'm selecting the "restore phone" option in iTunes it is prompting me to download "iPhone Software Update". It is currently slated to be 33 hours long.

My internet speed is 30 mbps so I don't think this should be that big of an issue should it? Does anyone have an alternative way to wipe my iPhone without having to download this 33 hour long file, or a way to get the file more quickly?

Thanks guys!! I'm supposed to meet the guy to sell it in like 12 hours.

2. madisonfaye thread starter macrumors regular

madisonfaye

After the 4 hour mark the download increased and I was able to finish downloading within 5 hours so problem resolved!

3. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Thats still rather slow. I have a 30Mbps connection and over AirPort Wi-Fi I can download iPhone Updates through iTunes in less then 10 minutes. Have you noticed it take a long time to open websites as well? I would recommend when the download is done to reset your modem (ISPs usually recommend unplugging it (and remove the backup battery if applicable) and plugging it back in after 10 secs). If that doesn't work, reset your router(s) and set up as new.

If that doesn't work, we'll move onto your computer. Judging by your signature its a Mac?

Before any of that is done, call your ISP and ask them if there is an outage in your area. This has happened to me in the past where instead of having no internet, it slows to an absolute crawl.

4. madisonfaye thread starter macrumors regular

madisonfaye

I actually tried downloading the file on my MBP first earlier in the day, when it said 30+ hours I decided to then update on my phone. When that didn't work as planned, I tried to use my iMac and still had the same issues. I heard that an update to iOS was released on the same day, perhaps that contributes to the speed.

I'll try restarting my modem and see. Browsing seems to be quick and other downloads are not taking very long. Its very strange!

Thank you for your help :) I really appreciate it!!