Restoring iPhone 5 from iCloud

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by VelvetElegance, Sep 21, 2012.

1. VelvetElegance macrumors regular

I got my phone this morning. I was under the impression that I can perform a restore of my previous phone using iCloud without connecting to iTunes. Is this true? I was looking in the Settings for a restore button but all I see if backup management info. Do I have to wait until I get home to get all my info on my new phone?

2. ohms12 macrumors 6502

ohms12

Yeah you can. When you boot up the iPhone 5 for the first time and connect to a Wifi network, it then asks if you'd like to restore via iTunes or iCloud. Pick iCloud and away you go! Easy.

3. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Heard you can pick and choose which apps you wanna restore first so you can use your favorite apps while others are being restored in the background. You might wanna try this. :)

4. VelvetElegance thread starter macrumors regular

That's pretty much what I thought too, but I got my phone at Sam's Club and the person activated the phone before she gave it to me. I never got the option to restore from iCloud.

5. BFG86 macrumors 6502

go into settings - general - reset - erase all content and settings

and you can set it up again.

Although you might want to just take your old phone and transfer all the purchases to a computer. because redownloading all the apps might take a while depending on how many you have

6. VelvetElegance thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you. I think it's working. Do I have to remain on a wi-fi network for the restore to complete?

7. knightryder122 macrumors newbie

disconnect wifi

you can disconnect wifi and continue the restore but keep in mind thats going to use up data on your network. so if you have a low data package you might not want to turn off your wifi during restore.

8. HFields macrumors newbie

Prett sure for OTA restore must be on wifi. At least I believe that's the message I got when I left my office and my restore wasn't done.

In fact it's still not done its been about 4 hours. How long hav others taken?

9. jarofclay73 macrumors regular

jarofclay73

My iPhone 5 restore is taking forever. However I took it off Wi-Fi because of a dinner I had to go to. I came back home and put it on Wi-Fi and went to sleep. When I woke up, there was little, if any, changes made. I erased the phone and started all over and will keep it on Wi-Fi.

10. rdbecker macrumors newbie

Don't expect different results. I did the same thing starting at 7:30 this morning. The majority of my apps still say waiting 6 1/2 hours later, one app claims to be loading but I don't see any activity.

11. jarofclay73 macrumors regular

jarofclay73

What I ended up doing is backing up my iPhone 4 to my MacBook Air and restoring the iPhone 5 as new first and then restoring backup. However, even after restoring backup, all my apps were not loaded. So, I'm loading them manually through iTunes and later I'll backup through the iCloud. Not the ideal way to do it if you don't have the time. But, I'm tired of waiting and I want to use my phone ASAP. It's just a matter of getting all the apps in the right folders.

12. rdbecker macrumors newbie

My apps finally (but slowly) resumed downloading this afternoon and wrapped up around 6:30 or so. Took nearly 12 hours.

13. HFields macrumors newbie

I had no visible progress after 7 hours and did the same. Baked up 4 to MBP and transferred purchases then restored from MBP.

Unfortunately It restored with out folders.

14. dannyhex macrumors regular

remember some apps may not be ios6 compatible

15. jarofclay73 macrumors regular

jarofclay73

I wonder if I did something in the iCloud settings that it would not restore all my apps in their respective folders. However, it did restore pretty much all the data in the apps that I wanted to save. I'm not sure at this point. Hopefully it's just an iOS 6 restore glitch.

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I restored my iPhone 5 from an iCloud backup of my 4S, and it did it perfectly, and fast -- I think the whole thing took maybe about an hour? Two at most. Granted, I had less than a hundred apps on my phone. If you have more apps, it would take longer. And it'd also depend on your wifi speed, of course. Ours does around 5-6 Mb/s.

17. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

I just want to say that I love using iCloud backup and did so with coming from a 4S to the iPhone 5. So easy and simple.

I have 82 Apps and all downloaded quickly except 2 that were in the 1 GB
    that kept having problems where it would stop downloading that app and go to other apps. I would have to tap the app again to re-download and it starts all over. But finally got it to download fully.

It's also awesome to see that all data and settings within the apps are saved too.

Never have to lose those game progress.

18. KandyKane macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,
    My iCloud restore took about an hour or longer (This was on the 21st September when everyone was doing iCloud restores). My apps took a day or so, but my media/Camera Roll just finished today (9 days)! I should have done it through iTunes, but already wiped the old phone for sale. It was a 10GB backup, never again!

19. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

Yes i did my icloud restore and wow. took forever. just going to keep my backups on my mac from now on.

20. appswipe macrumors 6502

iCloud restore is what made me sell my MacBook Air.

Since the Air was my primary machine then I just didnt have room for 40GB of app backups so I deleted them. I guess I didnt think that decision through but when Apple replaced my iPad then I did an iCloud restore and realized "Oh nuts. Its going to have to re-download 30GB of apps on my 3Mbps line.

Well, 4 days later (and numerous calls to Cox since they assume anyone downloading large files is a Pirate and throttle them) I got my iPad back to normal. Sold the Air and bought a 2011 MBP 13" so I could store the large App backups and iPhone backup images. Never again iCloud.

BTW. Anyone know if the Apple Store lets you use their bandwidth for doing an iCloud restore? Their public wifi is pretty slow, but maybe they have fiber in the back that they can access? It seems like it would be a great courtesy feature for iCloud restoring peoples devices.

21. xRi0, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2013

xRi0 macrumors newbie

My solution

Hello,

I solved this issue with iphone 5 by changing the signal interval from 100ms to 10ms in my router.

Regards,