Restoring Iphone backup from my Time Machine

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by radoja, Mar 19, 2015.

1. radoja macrumors newbie

Hi all -
    quick question. I re-installed IOs the other day because of all the clutter on my macbook and backed up everything to time machine, including my latest iphone backup. I got a new iPhone today and completely forgot to backup my old one before it got exchanged by apple.

What is my best option to retrieve that Iphone backup from iTunes in my Time Machine? I was hoping I don't need to completely restore the that cluttered backup I made and I could somehow selectively restore Itunes only from it.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you kindly

2. Cmd-Z macrumors 6502

Cmd-Z

Backing up to Time Machine doesn't remove files, so if you backed up and then you deleted things ... what exactly did you delete? If you deleted iTunes that does not delete your iPhone backup, that is kept elsewhere:

~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

If you did not delete things in this folder, either directly or via iTunes, then you should be able to install the latest backup on your new iPhone without any trouble.

If you did delete your backup, then you can selectively recover the backup in Time Machine ... you don't have to recover everything you backed up (and then deleted).