"restoring iPhone software"...Stuck here

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jackryan57, Feb 12, 2011.

1. jackryan57 macrumors regular

I am upgrading my 3Gs to 4.1 custom firmware. I am at the point where I am restoring through iTunes to the custom 4.1 and it is just stuck on the "restoring iPhone software"....its not moving. How can I exit to try again???

2. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

3. jackryan57 thread starter macrumors regular

No

4. jackryan57, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011

jackryan57 thread starter macrumors regular

OK, my impatience won out...I just unplugged it and started over from redsnow, entered Pwnd DFU mode then onto iTunes to restore and bam....still stuck on "restoring iPhone software"

what the hell??

This is infuriating! It starts to restore my phone then gets to the same spot each time and just sits there. OMFG am I going to have to update to Apples 4.2.1???

Is the problem that my phone keeps getting into a restore mode, so I can't shut it off when I use redsnow? I run redsnow and point it to official 4.1, then it says to make sure phone is off and plugged in before next step (entering pwnd dfu mode) - only problem is, phone wont shut off - it is stuck at the "plug in " logo. I still go thru the steps, hold power button, then both, then home and it seems to get into a DFU mode - but is it a pwnd DFU mode?

ugh

5. jackryan57 thread starter macrumors regular

In case anyone cares....it appears I had a bad custom IPSW - I downloaded a different one and it worked! :)

6. ataulmunim macrumors newbie

Pleaseeee HELP !!!

I have a different problem
    My device is an iPhone 4, which is factory unlocked, came with stock 4.1, I JBed it with Green Poison. Now I was trying to restore to stock 4.2.1 and did not plan to JB becoz my unlock isnt disturbed.

Now I am facing the same problem, the restore gets stuck at" restoring iphone software" and doesnt move even if I leave it for 5 hours.

Secondly, I am not using Wi-Fi Sync application on my pc BUT I had the iphone app installed before I started to restore. Now I cant find a way to delete that as well because my phone doesnt start :(

Please advise something.. PLZZZZ

7. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

If you used TU go into the advanced settings and uncheck the option to modify your hosts file. It points the Apple link to Cydia, and you need it to revert.

Otherwise the below can help you modify it as most likely you need to either correct, or comment out, the line.

http://blog.vinko.com/2010/11/23/ensure-clean-ios-42x-upgrade/

8. ataulmunim macrumors newbie

Thanx for the prompt reply bro, I did not use Tiny Umbrella, secondly, I have already tried to restore it to 4.2.1 which hangs in between so cant revert it back to 4.1 as well. Do you suggest me to restore the phone from my Backup ? How do I do it, I have no IDEA :(

9. ataulmunim macrumors newbie

Basically, I am stuck in between, Did not do the stock restore, tried to update to 4.2.1, and the restore stucks. I dont have the Blobs saved for 4.1 to revert back to 4.1 and 4.2.1 is not restoring, what should I do

10. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Did you try modifying the hosts file as mentioned in that link (ignore everything prior) and try again?

11. ataulmunim macrumors newbie

Yeah Bro, I did that.. to no effect :( Is there any way I can revert back to 4.1 without Blobs saved ? Does TU give this option ?

Thanks a zillion for prompt replies mate

12. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

No you can't install to an old firmware without saved old SHSH files. Your only option is to restore to 4.2.1. Have you tried putting the phone into DFU mode? If that fails, try usual, ie different USB port, different USB cable, disable security software, check and see if your host file has been edit to not point to Apple, and if all else fails, try a different computer.

13. ataulmunim macrumors newbie

Nothing seems to be working :( I have changed computers, cables, USB ports, the only thing I havent done is that I havent checked it with my security software disabled. I shud add that I had Wi-Fi Sync installed on my phone thru Cydia, can that be the cause of the problem ?

14. ataulmunim macrumors newbie

nothing working dude... even with security software disabled :(

15. ataulmunim macrumors newbie

Hey guys, one more thing, can i upgrade to 4.2.6?
    I have no issues with unlocks becoz my phone is factory unlocked. Wud that do?

16. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

4.2.6 is only for the Verizon iPhone

17. ataulmunim macrumors newbie

hey guys.. i just cant believe the problem was so stupid.. The IPSW file was creating a problem even if it was downloaded from Apple's servers .. The problem is solved.. I have successfully restored to 4.2.1 and now thinking of JBing it :D Thanx sooo much for all the support

18. sggifster macrumors newbie

"Restoring iPhone software" fixed!

Hi guys!

I've finally found the solution to being stuck at "Restoring iPhone software" in iOS 5 update! The problem was the "WiFi Sync" app previously installed on your phone! Go here for the fix http://tinyurl.com/ipsw4-0g

Kix