Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MauiBoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
I have an iPhone (v1.1.1) that has been jailbreaked (using jailbreakme.com) and unlocked (using anySIM v1.1). I was not able to get a prepaid SIM card to work in the UK when I was traveling last month, so at this point, I just want to restore my phone back to the way it was before jailbreaking and unlocking. Is there a way to do this, without losing all my SMS messages, settings, etc.?

I've looked here and done a Google search, but I can't seem to find the answer. All I find is how to jailbreak 1.1.2 (which I don't necessarily want to do). I am located in the US and have an AT&T SIM card and contract.

If I do a restore in iTunes 7.5, will this break my iPhone? Or, can I just upgrade to the 1.1.2 firmware to basically un-jailbreak and un-unlock my iPhone?

Thanks!

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
If I do a restore in iTunes 7.5, will this break my iPhone? Or, can I just upgrade to the 1.1.2 firmware to basically un-jailbreak and un-unlock my iPhone?

If you restore in iTunes 7.5 you will lose your settings and sms messages etc. The iPhone will be upgraded to 1.1.2 and will be locked to AT&T.
It is not possible at the moment to unlock 1.1.2 to work on any carrier's sim, but you can jailbreak and by-pass the normal AT&T activation to get it working on any AT&T sim card, contract or PAYG.

See this tutorial:

http://modmyifone.com/wiki/index.php/Getting_Started_iPhone_Modding_OS_X_current

MauiBoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
It worked!

OK, so I plugged in the iPhone and clicked "Restore" in iTunes 7.5. It asked if I wanted to restore and update to the latest version (1.1.2), and I confirmed it. It also asked if I wanted to backup my iPhone settings first, and I did. It then took about 3-5 minutes to restore the iPhone to factory settings. Once it mounted again in iTunes, it asked if I wanted to restore my previous settings, and I said yes. It reactivated the phone and everything else automagically.

Voila! I've got my phone re-locked, un-jailbreaked, and all my settings, SMS messages, voice messages, etc., re-loaded on my phone. I couldn't be happier (and Safari feels faster, and all that)! :)

Thanks for the help! Now, where's that 1.1.3 update with the voice notes.... :D

One thing did not restore, though: iToner ringtones (didn't expect it to). But, a quick sync with iToner 1.0.4 solved that.

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
OK, so I plugged in the iPhone and clicked "Restore" in iTunes 7.5. It asked if I wanted to restore and update to the latest version (1.1.2), and I confirmed it. It also asked if I wanted to backup my iPhone settings first, and I did. It then took about 3-5 minutes to restore the iPhone to factory settings. Once it mounted again in iTunes, it asked if I wanted to restore my previous settings, and I said yes. It reactivated the phone and everything else automagically.

Voila! I've got my phone re-locked, un-jailbreaked, and all my settings, SMS messages, voice messages, etc., re-loaded on my phone. I couldn't be happier (and Safari feels faster, and all that)! :)

One thing did not restore, though: iToner ringtones (didn't expect it to). But, a quick sync with iToner 1.0.4 solved that.

Very pleased that it worked out as you wanted. Surprised that you were able to retain your settings etc. We all live and learn! :)

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI

Did you flash the baseband when you ran iSimFree?

If you did (and you would have to, in order to use a non AT&T sim), did you flash the baseband back before restoring?

..I hope you did.

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
I activated/jailbroke my iPhone using independence. I'd like to go back to pre-activated state and sign up with ATT. However, independence won't open since I have iTunes 7.5. I've been trying around the different mod sites, but most people seem to be concerned with breaking the latest firmware and getting out of ATT, no into it.

Any ideas?

sam3020

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
All you need to do to sign up with the AT AND T contract is to just do a full restore on your device and it will ask you to activate again.

Simple

sikhiphone

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2007
all i used is ibricker.......but how do i do a complete restore...and can i back up my pictures..contacts...and then when i restore do i have to use the 1.1.2...becuase i dont care for these apps...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.