Restoring iPhone w/ new computer

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rickeames, Dec 11, 2009.

1. rickeames macrumors regular

Background: I had a macbook that was my iPhone "parent machine." I backed up the MB with Time machine and then wiped the machine and sold it. My new 27" iMac arrived and now I am at a loss as to how I pull the right files off of that Time Machine backup so that I can marry my iPhone to the iMac and not have to redo everything.

Any tips on what procedure to follow?

2. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

As far as I know, the iPhone backups are stored here....

harddrive/Users/UserName/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/....

Where hard drive is the hard drive's name, and UserName is the users account name on the hard drive.

I've not used Time Machine, so I don't know the restore procedure. I've always used Carbon Copy Cloner, and never had a problem switching machines (so far).

HTH.

3. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Won't just doing a complete restore from Time Machine onto your iMac recover everything you need? Or is there some reason you don't want to restore all your settings, documents etc?

Anyway If I am understanding correctly and you don't want to restore everything from the Time Machine backup onto your new machine, but you do want to carry on syncing your iPhone same as before, then you just need the whole iTunes folder which is at /Users/username/Music/iTunes. This contains the library, music, phone apps, etc. It also contains the information to tell iTunes which devices it previously synced with, so it should just sync with your phone as if nothing had happened. It will make a new iPhone backup the first time you sync, so you don't really need to worry about the phone backups. However it won't work very well if you had things in the library which are outside of that folder, for example music elsewhere which was in the library.

I've never actually restored anything from Time Machine yet so can't help with the actual mechanics of how it works. A friend just got a new MBP and used some 'restore from Time Machine' option when setting it up and that apparently worked very well, effectively making the MBP the same as his previous MB with no hassle. That's what I would do rather than try to recover individual things.