Restoring iPhone worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by roland.g, Sep 18, 2010.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

When I got my iPhone 4, I set it up from the backup of my iPhone 3G, which of course gave me all my SMS history, call history, set up all my Mail settings, etc. just like they were on my iPhone 3G.

I've had issues where some days my battery life is fairly decent, and others where it drops quickly with very little to no usage. Of course in talking to Apple Tech Support, one of the things they always recommend is wiping the phone with a restore and then setting it up as a brand new phone rather than from backup. This involves noting all your folder, app, playlist, and Settings settings if you want to set it up the same again.

Well I've done all that. Written down all the relevant info. I know if I complete this process I will lose my recent calls, all my SMS history and probably some App specific stuff, especially with regards to current completion of games (though this may be stored in the game and sync back, idk).

My question is whether anyone knows if it is worth it to restore the software and set it up from new or not. Of course Apple also contends that for better battery performance I eliminate the use of Push mail, Notifications, and turn WiFi, GPS, and of course Bluetooth on only when I need to. I understand the BT, and maybe the GPS, but I hate the idea of toggling WiFi or that I can't use the phone in the same manner I did with my 2 year old 3G and at the same time not get improved battery life.

Please share any experiences you have. Thanks.

2. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

3. welshwizard1927 macrumors newbie

I'm considering doing the same.

I've got an iPhone 3G and have just upgraded to the 4.1 OS. It's clear that there's major battery issues with this operating system. The most common fix for this so far seems to be going a system restore and this will improve it. But I guess that's not always going to work.

4. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

But they always warn that a restore may not fix it alone if some of the corruption possibly lies in the backup, especially if the backup came from a prior generation device. It's their CYA that you are doing everything to assure that the install and sync is clean.

5. samh macrumors 6502

It may not increase his battery life but sometimes you have to let tech support do their jobs and just do what they ask you to do to troubleshoot.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Funny how it’s increased battery life for so many members of this forum though.

Restore your phone as new OP.