RESTORING iPod Touch, Did I Do It Correctly?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Techfn01, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Techfn01 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I needed to restore my Touch to literally how it was, straight out of the box when I bought it (getting the larger GB in it's place) ~
    I read on a forum, online, that this is the correct and least, time consuming, way to go about it ~ hoping this is correct! I've only had mine for about a week, and barely installed any apps (maybe two), but of course have my iTunes library on it...... here's the procedure I followed....any help would be awesome~ Thanks!!
    ================
    Settings --> General --> Reset --> Erase All Content and Settings
    ===============

I'm nervous since I've already, returned it this evening (had time issues and needed to get it returned), after once having restored, as shown, above, and now I've just read, that you should do the restore procedure via iTunes to guarantee it was restored :eek:
    After it was done, the Apple screen did appear, afterwards the "sync to iTunes" screen also appeared. Unfortunately, I didn't think to "hook it up" and make sure, that nothing "appeared" on the Touch. The restore procedure seemed to take approx. 45 minutes, or so, to transpire (if that helps). Thanks so much for any help!!! I'm worried that some secure settings (ie., when I went to a site to pay a bill), could be copied once someone buys it, if it didn't correctly restore, ugh!

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Don't worry it sounds like everything went as it should. :)

3. Techfn01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much jmann!! Here's hoping! :) Does anyone know why, some insist you should do it via iTunes? Just in case I ever need to restore another touch, lol, just wondering ~ I'm thinking, either manually (via just your touch), or through iTunes, is good (hopefully)!

4. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

correct me if i'm wrong of course, but my opinion on this is that iTunes can actually go in and completely replace the firmware, thus leaving no traces of what was left behind.

whereas the touch just erases all added material.

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Doing a restore especially a DFU restore is the most secure way to ensure everything is gone.

6. Techfn01 thread starter macrumors newbie

What is a DFU restore? Thanks! :)

EDIT: Just did a google search, and now I'm back to being totally nervous again about my Touch I returned, Ugh! What should or can, I do, as precautions since I didn't do a DFU restore? Is there anything I can do at my iTunes, or at sites I had visited while using my Touch??
    Perhaps there's a number, where I can contact Apple Customer service for their input as well?

7. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Apple will erase the iPod anyways. Don't be a worry wart.

8. Techfn01 thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL thanks!!! The only reason I was "still", worried, was I didn't realize that Costco would have to return it, to Apple, duh. My first time returning something of this nature, what can I say? :rolleyes: LOL! Just the same, I'll probably change my passwords to be on the safe side :D