restoring items from emptied trash

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Marina:), Oct 7, 2011.

1. Marina:) macrumors newbie

hi guys :),
    im new to this website and also my mac so i need a little help since im freaking out.
    Last night i had moved some items to trash including safari, photobooth, microsoft word and some really important assesments without realsing. i then had emptiest the trash and attempted to open these files and a question mark appeared on safari and so fourth, and i could no longer find my assesments..
    is there anywayyy possible i could get back these itemss? i really need them back asap? if soo what programs are the best?
    thanks xx

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

What version os x do you have

3. inscrewtable macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

@marina,

once you sort this out, make sure you get hold of superduper and keep your mac fully cloned.

4. Marina:) thread starter macrumors newbie

umm how do i check what OS X i havee? any recommedations?

5. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

6. marc11 macrumors 68000

Time Machine running? It so, go back a few hours and I bet all those items are there and can be restored.

7. John T macrumors 68020

John T

This is where Time Machine comes into its own. If an App starts to malfunction or, like you, one accidentally deletes an important file, just go back a few hours/days and restore it. Simple and instantaneous.

I too use SuperDuper, but it can take quite a while to back up a disc and it is not really designed for the type of use described above.

8. Marina:) thread starter macrumors newbie

i realised i had time machine, though i had not activated it since i had only recently bought my mac... would you guys know any any other solutions? and also if i were to download file angel that will restore my files, but then reformat my mac all over again is there anyway to keep the program, like putting it on my usb or disk or something?

9. John T macrumors 68020

John T

If you don't have Time Machine installed, you'll need to restore the files. As far as Safari is concerned, Pacifist will enable you to reinstall it from your original instal disc. Use your original instal discs to reinstall Word.

Other data files will need the use of data recovery software. If you Google for "Data recovery software mac", you'll find quite a few apps offering free downloads. I personally have no experience of any of these, but, in your case, it should be worth a try.