Restoring itunes from an iPod?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Spandexman, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Spandexman macrumors regular

Hello everybody, my macbook died on friday (hoping that it was one of the batch which were made with dodgy harddrives so I can get it replaced for free), which was very considerate really as it let me finish all my work, back up, and get an e-mail from apple saying that my new i7 15" will be here sometime this week. However, I didn't have my harddrive backed up. I have all important documents on USB sticks, but was wondering about itunes. I have an ipod with about 24GB of music still on in, as well as a few photos, and was wondering if it would be possible to restore my itunes from my iPod? I don't particularly relish the thought of having to reload all of the CDs again! If I plug the iPod into the new computer (hopefully soon, i'm using a friends spare MBP and don't like these non chiclet keys at all), will I be able to transfer all the songs via USB directly, or do I have to download some funny program to help?

Thanks in advance

2. Spandexman thread starter macrumors regular

3. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

I recently experienced the same problem when my older MBP died. What I did was connect my ipad, which had my full music and photo library on it, and then hooked my ipad up to my new MBP. When itunes opened I clicked on my ipad in itunes and then clicked the music tab. I then clicked sync. You will get a message that will tell you that your music library will be deleted or something to that effect from your ipod or ipad, but you can transfer all of it back to your ipod once the initial sync is completed.

BTW, when I did this using my ipad, it didn't delete my library of music from my ipad, and the transfer of all my music files to my new computer worked flawlessly.

Again to repeat I did this with an ipad not an ipod so I would assume it would also work on an ipod. But I am not 100 % certain. I had all of my music backed up on my iphone anyway just in case something went wrong during the process. Luckily nothing went wrong.

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

I don't know of any free utility that will let you pull back all 24GB of your music from the iPod.

Senuti is $18. IMO, when it comes down to paying $18 or spending ~15 hours reripping my music, the $18 doesn't seem like such a bad value.

Setup Time Machine on your new Mac. It's free and would have prevented you from getting into this situation.

Interesting. iTunes has let you "sync purchased items" from iDevices back to a new computer, but I've never seen it sync stuff that you've ripped back...

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

6. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

Yeah I always believed that you coulnd't do it as well. It wasn't a huge concern for me because I had my old library of music on my old G4 tower and I could have used that as a last resort. I also had my iphone, which was my main ipod. So I decided I would give it a try. I hooked up my ipad and connected the supplied cable to my MBP.

I got this message (Substitute iphone for ipad)

[​IMG]

I clicked sync music and it uploaded my library from my ipad onto my clean itunes account on my new computer.

Again I would only do this if I had my music library on another ipod or iphone, just in case.

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Dirty non-secret... it's free for 30 days. The only limitation is 1000 songs per cycle. So if you are that desperate to save $18 you can restore songs in 1,000 song cycles until you have them all. Kind of tedious that way w/ a big collection, but possible.

8. Spandexman thread starter macrumors regular

That was what I was hoping would be the case. Let's hope it does work with an iPod

It's a pity there's no free program. I was hoping that i wouldn't have to pay to put my own music onto my computer. Oh well. I was still running Tiger on my mac, and didn't have a spare harddrive lying around, so time machine wasn't an option really.

Yeah, that'd take me four months, which would be a bit annoying. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

9. aristobrat macrumors G5