Restoring iTunes library from straight copy

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tazy, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Tazy macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I did a fresh install of 10.5 in my iMac (which was previously in 10.4.x) recently. I backed up my important stuff (photo and music libraries) by simply copying the libraries (entire folders) to an external drive.
    Then I simply copied back the iTunes library to my folder and started iTunes. Unfortunately, iTunes does not seem to show any of my music library content :-(

I know, I know... I should have backed up using the backup feature of iTunes. I promise to learn from my mistakes. However, is there any way I can restore from the straight copy of the iTunes library (incl. several of my iTunes purchases).
    Any and all help will be much appreciated.

Tazy

2. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Try holding alt when you open itunes and then select the itunes folder.

3. Tazy thread starter macrumors newbie

solved it (kinda!)

Here is what I did to kind of resolve this problem...
    - I checked that I could still launch iTunes while holding down the option key and pointing to the library copy in my external drive. Everything was fine here (incl. purchased songs)
    - when I went back to my iTunes folder in my home folder, I found it empty. So iTunes must have wiped my iTUnes library when it started for the first time. The trick is to copy the library into iTunes folder AFTER launching iTunes for the first time!

Now I find that iTunes does not find the library located in the default location my_home_folder/Music/iTunes UNLESS I explicitly point to it at launch time (using the option key). Any pointers on how to resolve this?

Thanks.
    Tazy

4. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Is the iTunes Music Folder Location set correctly in the advanced preferences?

5. Tazy thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy