Restoring jailbroken 3GS iOS4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by twinpeaks, Jan 13, 2011.

1. twinpeaks macrumors newbie

I haven't played with my 3GS in a few months but I find it frozen on the apple logo with the busy-swirl freezing.

By holding down HOME and plugging in, iTunes says it can restore "all of your media will be erased and the newest version of the iPhone software will be installed."

I don't want that; I want to restore the backup that was done in August or September or so and remain jailbroken.

How can I do that? I searched google and they're all talking about buying a Cydia app, but, it's too late for that right now.

Thanks

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You can only restore back to 4.0 if you saved the SHSH in Cydia or TinyUmbrella.

3. twinpeaks thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, that's done (both); what's next :)

4. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

5. twinpeaks thread starter macrumors newbie

it should be; it's been awhile since I played on this phone and it's hard to make heads or tails of the gibberish in

C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

but let's assume yes

6. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

I've been digging around but found little or nothing about this, because since it is jailbroken it doesn't follow the same process as would if not jailbroken.

Now, do you need it to restore from the last backup? Can't you sync with 4.2.1 and jailbreak? Because when 4.3 comes out in the next weeks or so, you won't be able to jailbreak that easily, so if this is an option it would be best if done soon.

Sorry for not being of that much help but without the iPhone in my hands it's tough to know what can be done.