Restoring Jailbroken iPhone 4...and back again?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by peanutismint, May 10, 2012.

1. peanutismint macrumors 6502

peanutismint

I hope this isn't breaking any forum rules by asking about this - I need to send my iphone 4 in for a repair, so I was planning to first restore it to its pre-jailbroken state. It's currently running iOS v5.0.1 (9A405); I don't rely on any sort of unlock so it's purely jailbroken for Cydia apps/mods etc - am I to assume if it goes in for repair it will likely come back updated to the newest iOS v5.1? If so, is there any way to get back to the jailbroken state after I get it back or will I have to wait for 5.1 to get cracked? Thanks in advance for any help! :)

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

The newest firmware is 5.1.1.
    There is a tethered jailbreak for 5.1 and 5.1.1

Both the 5.0.1 hash and APTicket file are required to restore to 5.0.1
    If you don't already have them saved, you can use iFaith/Sn0wbreeze to make a restore to 5.0.1 possible.

3. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

That's brilliant, thanks for the insightful knowledge! I will try to save my hash and APTicket files, but if they send me a completely new handset, a restore to 5.0.1 won't be possible, right? Either way, I could probably live with a tethered jailbreak for now! :)

Thanks again!

4. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

If the new hardware they give you is on 5.1 or 5.1.1, you'll be stuck with a tethered JB (not so bad - it's what I'm running). If you get 5.0.1, you can get back to your untethered jailbreak. In short, you can't use your blobs from your current device to downgrade another phone.

5. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Yeah, I thought as much.... nah tethered wouldn't be that bad at all - how often does one actually reboot their phone anyhow?!

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I was referring to your statement you were planning to restore it to stock prior to sending it in for repair. Of course you could always just restore it to current firmware.

You will have to start over if you get a replacement phone.

7. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Yeah that's right, well I'm assuming they will just issue me with a replacement (seems to be a pretty serious problem with the audio port...) but a repair would be nicer... eitherway I can always use this tethered jailbreak, and it'll be worth me saving my hashes etc just in case......yes?

8. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

I've yet to reboot my phone except when installing certain Cydia tweaks (and then I'm obviously at my computer prepared to run Redsn0w). Just watch your battery and don't screw around w/ Cydia unless you're near your computer.

It's worth noting that on 5.1, my phone will still boot without a computer (last I checked anyway - I've installed a few minor tweaks since then), but Cydia, all jailbreak apps, mail, and Safari will not launch until I "Just Boot Tethered" with Redsn0w. Still have a phone, though!

----------

I always save them just in case...

9. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

True. I can live with all that. So if I need to reboot for whatever reason, I just run this Redsn0w app from my computer with my iphone connected and let it do its work? Like re-jailbreaking over again basically??

10. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Kind of. There is an option built into RedSn0w to "just boot tethered". Click that and put your phone in DFU mode - then RedSn0w will reboot your phone and you'll be back at your lockscreen w/ Cydia accessible.

I had a hard time getting the process, because as simple as it sounds, there's not a ton of tutorials on the "just boot tethered" process. If your phone gets stuck at the apple logo, though, you can simply enter DFU mode from there (since you won't be able to power down the device). If you're at your springboard with Cydia/Safari, etc. inaccessible, turn the device off while connected to the computer before entering DFU.

11. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Cool - thanks again guys; taking the plunge as we speak! bye bye Cydia..... for now........ :)

12. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Apple might send you a 4S if they can't repair your iPhone. Keep that in mind as well.

13. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Hahah I fear that may be wishful thinking, but I'll be crossing everything just in case....I'm only just still within my warranty; if this malfunction had occurred a month later, I'd be SOL! :)

14. b0bab0i macrumors regular

No they won't they have so many refurbished iPhone 4's in stock. They are still selling 3GS's.

15. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Haven't you been reading online? Apple is running out of stock on the refurbished iPhone 4 and replacing customers devices with the 4S.

So what if they are still selling the 3GS?

16. b0bab0i macrumors regular

I haven't seen anything saying people were getting refurbished 4S for turning in iPhone 4's.

A friend of my just turned in his iPhone 4 for a refurbished iPhone 4 last friday.

You have a link saying that they are running out of refurbished iPhone 4 stock?

17. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

http://gizmodo.com/5908171/apple-will-replace-your-broken-iphone-4-with-an-iphone-4s

Depending on which iPhone 4 the OP has, they'll get the 4S.