Restoring Lion On New MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Relznuk, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

Hey all,

I've got a brand new 2011 BTO MacBook Pro 15" in my hands that I ordered on Lion's launch day. Curiously, it seems that MacBook Pros no longer come with restore DVD's, and also do not have the new Internet Recovery feature enabled that the new MacBook Airs and Mac Minis have.

My question then, is, noting the absence of a physical restore disc OR Internet Recovery, how would one rescue such a machine from something like HDD failure? Would you not be forced to make a restore disc for emergencies, thus defeating Apple's quest to become DVD free?

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

I wish we could make a recovery disc so badly...

Would it be illegal to download Lion for a 3rd party website to make a DVD copy if I had legally purchased it off App Store to begin with?

3. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

4. Saberon macrumors 6502a

That's all fine and dandy, but you can only do that before you install Lion. Those of us who have Lion installed can't do that.

5. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Hmm, how about backing up the data to Time Machine, restore the laptop back to SL, then go to app store and redownload Lion (don't know if possible but it should appear in the Purchased tab) and make the boot disc before installing Lion? Finally, restore from TM backup?

6. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Yeah I guess that's possible...but that's a real pain in the rear!!

7. altecXP macrumors 65816

If you bought the MacBook Pro new there would have no SL DVD.

8. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I'm not sure about you, but when I hold down ALT/OPTION at the pre-Apple blank screen, I get "Recover HD" as one of my bootable disks. This allows for a clean install. I don't know if you have it because I clean installed directly from Snow Leopard.

9. Relznuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Relznuk

Yes - that works, but it wouldn't work if your hard drive had failed.

10. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Only if you got it as a CTO option where Lion comes prreinstalled since they make it from "scratch." There is a thread here about some user receiving his MBP with an update keyboard. I purchased my MBP after Lion came out and it came with a SL DVD.

11. podsorcerer09 macrumors regular

This would be my recommendation. I'm not sure what it says in the EULA but I have a feeling that you're allowed to make a backup disk of your software. As long as you bought it and don't feel bad about 'pirating' it then go for it. Your other option would be to download it from another mac that has SL Installed and just not hit the install button, then use one of the above methods for making a bootable CD. Since I bought mine in the store it came with a SL disc but I made a Lion disc when I downloaded it anyways.

12. kalfalfa macrumors newbie

Hopefully Apple released EFI firmware updates for all Macs which support Lion to add Internet restore.

-Patrick