Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patrick Farias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2015
Macbook Pro 2011

HDD Hitachi crashed - running MAC OX x Lion 10.7 until crached...

Changed to SSD Kington V300 series

Apple hardware test OK!

Install OS X El Capitan from USB bootable pendrive made by command:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /volume/untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --nointeraction

but after click on icon "install OS x El capitan"...

MAC OS X Utilities screen won't appear, entire screen change to grey and no icon appear.

here is the video...

Any suggestions macfriends ?

thanks!!!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Vid is private, could you make it public please and I'll take a look?

Thanks!

EDIT: If you just want a quick solution, hold Alt+Cmd+R on startup to boot into Internet Recovery. Install OS X Lion and then just update to El Capitan once you're in there.

Also to make you aware, you need to format your SSD as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) before you can install your OS to the SSD.

Patrick Farias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2015
Vid is private, could you make it public please and I'll take a look?

Thanks!

EDIT: If you just want a quick solution, hold Alt+Cmd+R on startup to boot into Internet Recovery. Install OS X Lion and then just update to El Capitan once you're in there.

Also to make you aware, you need to format your SSD as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) before you can install your OS to the SSD.

Sorry keysofanxiety !!!

Its Public now, thanks for help, I'll format SSD.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Sorry keysofanxiety !!!

Its Public now, thanks for help, I'll format SSD.

Nice one Patrick, hope it helps. I know it's a bit of a pain but formatting through Internet Recovery and reinstalling Lion then upgrading should at least 100% ensure that it does the trick. :)

Thanks for your patience, keep me updated!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

OK, it's gotta be hardware then. I suspect it's the RAM. Do you have a copy of MemTest on a bootable USB or anything?

Patrick Farias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2015

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    947.1 KB · Views: 114

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Maybe it's better

In all honesty AHT is pretty flaky with picking up hardware issues. Do you have OS X installed on an external drive that you can boot into? That will at least give us an opportunity to run some hardware tests in that or install software to run diagnostics in Single User Mode.

Or a local Apple Store?

Patrick Farias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2015
In all honesty AHT is pretty flaky with picking up hardware issues. Do you have OS X installed on an external drive that you can boot into? That will at least give us an opportunity to run some hardware tests in that or install software to run diagnostics in Single User Mode.

Or a local Apple Store?

got it! I have external drive that I can install mac os x and I living in Rio de Janeiro - Brazil, apple store is already here. What do think its better ?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
got it! I have external drive that I can install mac os x and I living in Rio de Janeiro - Brazil, apple store is already here. What do think its better ?

I'd suggest popping into the Apple Store first if it's not a huge inconvenience, because something's definitely not right. Otherwise you can install your OS to an external drive through OS X Recovery and then we can run some diagnostics from there, though it will be slow to load through an external drive.

So let me know if you want to go down the route of installing to an external drive and I'll link you up to some diagnostic software. Otherwise the Apple Store will be the quickest route to at least get the ball rolling.

Best wishes Patrick, please keep me updated. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.