Restoring Mac Using OS Lion Image on Disk Utility Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Hilaris, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Hilaris macrumors newbie

Hello guys,

I'm working as a tech and am having a few problems with the techy side of macs, having one myself for home use I thought I could tackle the problem however I am having a few issues when trying to restore...

I am using a dmg image I have created from a working Mac in the suite we have and I get it to scan the HD fine, however when it attempts to scan the DMG it brings up an internal error stopping it from working...

I do have the option of installing from apple straight using Disk Utility, however the issue is I can't connect it to a WiFi as I need to enter proxy settings for the WiFi in the building to be accessed and it doesn't seem to be accepting the ethernet cable...

Basically, is there any one who can help me get this MAC back up and running? :):)

Thanks Guys!

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

What is the Mac model at home; and what is the model at work?
    What is currently on the Mac at home, e.g. OS version?
    At what exact point do you get the error message in the dmg? Opening it? Creating it?
    Is there an error message? What is the exact wording?

Was Lion bought at the Mac App Store? Can you download the installer app from there onto any Mac? There are many webpages that show you how to make a USB flash drive standalone installer from that app.

3. Hilaris thread starter macrumors newbie

The Mac Model is the 2011 iMac, and I am taking an image from one of the other macs from the same family in the suite we have, it is also running MAC OS Lion
    The error message took longer to appear yesterday afternoon, but it basically says, "Unable to Scan (Filename .dmg) Internal Error"

Thanks for you help :)

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

If the Mac already has Lion on it, it will have a Recovery Partition. Boot while holding <command> R and you can run the installer from there.

5. Hilaris thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried using this and it hasn't worked it says it is unable to contact apple support? :confused::confused:

6. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Do you have an internet connection? The installer downloads files from Apple.

Is there already an existing installation of Lion on the iMac? If so, why do you want to re-install.

Again: when do you get the error message on the dmg? When you open it, or when you create it?

7. Hilaris thread starter macrumors newbie

Basically, I work as a network technician and the wonderful clients who use the macs had corrupted the Mac to a point it wouldn't boot, I have then stripped it back and now need to put a new version of the Lion OS on the Mac...

I get it as its scanning the Image to apply it to the Mac HD when using the restore tool in Disk Utility.

8. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Make sure the image is NOT mounted when you attempt the restore.

9. Hilaris thread starter macrumors newbie

Did that tried to restore from the dmg image I have created and got this error...

"Unable to scan "ST3500418AS Media.dmg." (Internal Error)"

Boooo :(