Restoring MacBook Air bought in 2012

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Marshaltk, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Marshaltk macrumors newbie

Hey guys! I'm having a HUGE problem with my MacBook Air. In less than 2 weeks, I've had to restore it about 10 times or more. It all started about a month ago when my Mac froze and there was nothing to be done but to format it. Luckily enough, I use TimeMachine very often, which saved me big time because I restored the system from it. I thought the problem was solved but two days later, same problem. I checked the software with all the cmd+alt blabla bla manipulations and the results were reassuring..nothing alarming, except that when I'm having a problem, it says "try to copy what you have left and restore/ format your Mac"..

Oh and in the beginning, switching my Mac on used to lead to a grey page, sometimes the apple logo appeared but mostly nothing..but right now it seems to know the way, whenever I try to use it it goes straight to the "restore from time machine/Restore from Internet/Get help or restore from Cd" page...(the one where u can verify disk and find out it's unrepeatable lol)..I think the manipulation that usually leads to this is cmd+R..other than that, when the restore is complete, my Mac works perfectly..Internet, iPhoto, documents, mail, iMessage, twitter and all that..everything woks..but for less than 48h each time!

My Mac doesn't have a retina screen, it's the previous version. It's up to date and has a capacity of 120Gbs, 111Gbs used, 9 free. I don't have many apps..nothing out of the ordinary, my iTunes library contains 1500songs and I have around 20000 pictures.

I don't download movies, I only download pictures..occasionally (most of the time from FB, sports pages).

I don't use weird sites or sites with too many adds (like poem sites :p)..I'm not into that! I use YouTube a lot though!

Hope u guys can come up with something! Sorry if I'm being too open, I just think those are important Infos !! :D

Thanks in advance.

2. jdechko macrumors 68040

It sounds like your SSD (hard drive) is failing. Unfortunately, it seems to be a pretty common problem with the part that Apple used. The 128GB models (which includes yours) are the ones affected. Make a genius bar appointment, and take it in.