Restoring Macbook, but only need to save a few things

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Fainer, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Fainer macrumors member

I recently got a new iMac and used Time Machine to transfer everything over from my white Macbook. Piece of cake. :D

My Macbook is now being used mainly for one specific task: teaching teenagers in youth group. I extensively use Keynote and iTunes. Occasionaly Garageband. I dont need any other files on it. It has also been running quite slow with occasional lock ups (last night for instance during a lesson). So I think that wiping everything off and restoring it to factory would help. But I do not need to restore everything from a Time Machine backup, just iTunes. I do not want to lose my music/media from that. I also want to make sure I keep Keynote and Garageband. I dont care about keeping anything else. What would be the best way to do this? Thanks so much!

(I have the white Macbook, not with the 1 clickable mouse button. It has a 500 GB HD and 4 GB of RAM. I also have Lion installed.)

2. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

One option is to configure time-machine to only backup the files you care about.
    Which sounds like your iTunes library and your applications.
    Then do a fresh install and restore from the (now slimmed down) backup.

The real question is why is your Mac slowing down.

3. Fainer thread starter macrumors member

No idea. Except that it is pretty old (5+ years) and I just assume it is showing its age. That is why I am hoping that after wiping it clean and just installing the music and apps I need, it will run better....hopefully.