Restoring Macbook Pro next week, don't want to lose iMessages!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JarrettH15, Dec 6, 2014.

1. JarrettH15 macrumors newbie

Have to restore my macbook at Apple this week, Yosemite is making my laptop run super slow and it is also stuck in an update loop.

I have a ton of iMessage conversations on my Macbook from as far back as 2012 (that I do not have on my iPad or iPhone) and I really don't want to lose them when I restore this laptop Monday. What are my options as far as backing all those messages up and then loading them all back up when I restore and reconfigure the computer!

Thank you so much in advance!

Jarrett

MBP 13in Mid 2012
    2.5ghz i5 4gb ram
    Yosemite 10.10.1

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I could be wrong, but I don't think there any options to restore iMessages. Still would you lose them because they're in the cloud and you have them on your iPhone/iPad. No?

Edit: I'd back up the entire computer just in case, so you can restore back to 10.10 in case they do disappear.

3. JarrettH15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Whenever I got a new iPad/iPhone I would start with no messes so they're not on those. What type of backup should I run? Time machine? Really not sure. Thank you!

4. Alrescha, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014

Alrescha macrumors 68020

A Time Machine backup should take care of this for you. If you would like extra insurance, you should find the messages in:

/Users/yourusername/Library/Containers/com.apple.iChat/Data/Library/Messages/Archive

A.

Addendum: I would recommend backing up the entire Messages directory using Finder's "Compress" option to create a zip file.