Restoring Macbook Pro to the glory days...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by divinemercy, Aug 2, 2011.

1. divinemercy macrumors regular

Greetings all!

Basically I am writing to ask about restoring a macbook to factory settings.

I have the late 2008 macbook pro, and since i've bought it i've used it heavily through college and hours of daily use... It has, naturally, slowed a little. Just a little clunky around the edges if you know what I mean.

And I do periodically run the maintenence scripts, etc etc...

BUT I am now returning to my university next month, and since I cannot afford a new macbook I thought i'd at least wipe this one clean and start fresh!

Now, I have the late 2008 MBP 15in. And I want to completely wipe it clean (like as in COMPLETELY) as in as if I just bought a refurbished macbook pro from apple, and there is no trace of anything the previous user had. Just deleting every file I can find wont do the trick, i want it all gone lol.

So, how do I go about doing this? I have Lion on a jump drive so i can reload the operating system and everything after the computer is wiped, but how do I do that initial COMPLETE wiping??

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

3. macdudesir macrumors 6502

Ive never had to do it in lion before...but in snow leopard...you would insert the boot up dvd (maybe its on the lion recovery partition now?) and restart to that and get on disk utility and click Macintosh HD and hit the erase button.....then it would erase....x out of disk utility and install Snow Leopard/Lion

4. simsaladimbamba