restoring Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cindyjj, Jan 23, 2016.

1. cindyjj macrumors regular

Sorry to seem to ask the same question ten times, but I need to ask again. I need to give some background so I don't end up with the same issue.

My macbook late 2011 was almost full - 485 GB of 500 used. It also had an issue with the sound which wouldn't repair. Someone suggested reinstalling the operating system. It came with Lion, but I had upgraded to Mountain Lion several months ago. I can't remember how I got Mountain Lion - it seems I probably purchased it, received a code, then downloaded it. I can't find any of that in my emails or anything. So, I first did a time machine backup of all 485 GB. I then tried to reinstall the operating system and after some glitches, received an error message that my HD was damaged and could not be repaired. So then I purchased a new HD and just installed it today. I did command R to get the operating system and Lion was the default OS X.

Now, I'm not sure how to get what I need via the time machine backup. If I do the entire thing, Mountain Lion might install which I do not want in case it is corrupt - it was suggested previously that that could be the problem with the sound. (btw the sound is now repaired with the new HD and Lion installed) I don't need every single thing from the back up - but I do need my Office programs, all of my documents, iTunes etc. I just tried to retrieve those from the back up and don't really know how to do it. Could you tell me the best way to retrieve the files I need step by step. Like how to I initiate the process and then what?

After that, I need to know some possible ways to find Mountain Lion. When I go to App Store and Purchases, it said no purchases. There's no point purchasing it again if it should be accessible somewhere.

Again, sorry to request this information again. I'm a bit stressed out from various things.

2. MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

If you do research you find always a way to get ML (last version: 10.8.5) .
    apple still sells it if I recall it correctly.
    I am also a very happy user of ML, still used SL a year ago.
    I even purchased at that time (2014) SL in the apple store for 20 EUR to be shure to switch back if needed (I always am very skeptic about the buggy "fantastic new OSX" like El Crap and others following ML…)

As for your time machine backup:

I am pretty shure that you can use your complete Time machine backup with ML on it.

The only problem is that your HDD is full. If you purchased a HDD with at least 750 GB (or better more) it will be ok.
    NEVER work with HDD if you filled the capacity by more than 80%...