Restoring Macbook Pro3, 1 (with a Twist!!)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by majorcedar, Jun 25, 2013.

1. majorcedar, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013

majorcedar macrumors newbie

Greetings community; I've a challenge for you. I've got a Macbook Pro3, 1. It came with iOS 10.6 (Leopard). Since having it, I upgraded: 1) to Snow Leopard and then 2) Mountain Lion. Too, I had to have it serviced for an issue having to do with the NVidia 8600 (Rosetta thing), which I hardly understood then or now.

Now, I need to restore it factory settings. I've got the original "Install Disk 1 and 2." When I put Disk 1 into the drive and restart holding "C," it takes me to a utility screen that I cannot see. The screen is covered in horizontal blue, white and black lines. I can make out only some of the text, hence I cannot perform the reformat and reinstall procedures.

I tried the same steps with my Snow Leopard (Upgrade) CD, and it takes me directly to the Utility screen and it has no blue, black or white lines. Problem is, I cannot install "Snow Leopard," I suppose because it is an upgrade CD.

What can I do? Can I go around the graphical display and use the command prompt to perform factor reset. Like I said, I have the CDs....it seems like, however, that when the Mac reads the disks, something affects the graphic display. (I suppose the Install Disks are in the form of DVDs).

Help please!!!!! Thanks in advance!!

2. majorcedar thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

does it boot into osx otherwise? How is the display then?

4. majorcedar thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, if I leave it alone it boots into OS 10x with no hitches.

5. majorcedar thread starter macrumors newbie

Surely someone out there has heard of such a thing.