restoring macbook to factory settings help?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sidekickchild, Jan 6, 2008.

1. sidekickchild macrumors newbie

hi guys, as part of the process of upgrading to a MPB ive agreed to sell my old macbook to a friend, i want to restore it to its original factory settings including the office and iwork trials etc...when i bought the macbook it had 10.4 (tiger) and i have upgraded it to 10.5 (leopard) recently.

what i would like to know is...in order for me to restore it to original settings including all trials and bundled apps do i need to erase and install the 10.4 os and then reinstall leopard after, over 10.4? or is there a shortcut i.e. only reinstallign 10.5?

thanks

2. 119576 Guest

Just do an erase and install from the Leopard install disc. Should be fine and dandy.

3. sidekickchild thread starter macrumors newbie

and this will leave the trial software and bundled apps intact for the person buying my old MB?

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If you want the trials etc, you are going to have to use the Tiger restore disks that came with your mac.

5. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

If your selling it an intend on keeping your Leopard disc you have to use the factory restore discs that came with your old MacBook. Use them to reinstall Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger). Use the erase and install method, but make sure you copy all your files ovf first.

6. sidekickchild thread starter macrumors newbie

well, im selling it yes...but as my new mac will be brand new i wont need to keep the leopard disc will i?

so all i need to do is migrate all my docs, apps and prefs to my new macbook pro then perform an 'erase and install' using the original tiger discs onto the old computer(bringing it back to its state when i received it) followed with another leopard install to bring it smack up to date?

does this sound right?

7. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

That's right. Do what I said in my first post, then insert the Leopard disc and upgrade the fresh Tiger installation. That's the easiest way to get all the Apps, trials etc on the MB before you sell it.

After you do the Leopard upgrade don't do the registration stuff. When you give it to your friend it'll play the intro video just like when it was brand new.

8. sidekickchild thread starter macrumors newbie

let me just break it down so im certain i kno what to do...i certainly dont wana get this wrong!

use migration assistant to move all my stuff onto my new macbook pro...then...using the original tiger discs, perform an erase and install on the old macbook....followed by a fresh upgrade of leopard on the old machine?
    this will leave me with everything i need on my new machine and an old macbook to pass on that will be as fresh as the day i bought it!

thanks for ur patience guys, seems im not as mac literate as i thought!

9. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

You got it.

Just make positively sure that Migration Assistant moved everything before you reinstall the old machine.